    http://effbot.org/pyfaq/

    Many thanks to everyone who's contributed this far!

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Nov 15, 2006

  2. Fredrik Lundh

    John Machin Guest

    Fredrik Lundh wrote:
    > After incorporating more than 60 comments, adding a bunch of new
    > articles, and having made a ludicrous amount of minor edits and
    > tweaks, I'm happy to announce a first "beta" release of the new
    > Python FAQ:
    >
    > http://effbot.org/pyfaq/
    >
    > Many thanks to everyone who's contributed this far!

    UnicodeDecodeError, UnicodeEncodeError:

    I was about to ask mildly the other day whether a c.l.py poster had
    RTFFAQ when I thought "Hmmm long while since I'd RTFFAQ myself, better
    have a peep". Shock/horror; couldn't find "UnicodeEncodeError" -- why
    not? See below:

    FAQ: What does 'UnicodeError: ASCII [decoding,encoding] error: ordinal
    not in range(128)' mean?

    Python:

    Python 2.2.3 (#42, May 30 2003, 18:12:08) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
    UnicodeError: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

    Python 2.3.5 (#62, Feb 8 2005, 16:23:02) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]
    on win32
    UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xff' in
    position 0:
    ordinal not in range(128)

    =======

    P.S. Great job on the wiki, and yes a search facility a tad smarter
    than browser Ctrl-F would be a very good idea!

    Cheers,
    John

    John Machin, Nov 15, 2006

  3. John Machin wrote:

    > P.S. Great job on the wiki, and yes a search facility a tad smarter
    > than browser Ctrl-F would be a very good idea!

    the "effbot.org" version of the PyFAQ is basically just an editing and
    staging area; when everyone involved gets enough spare cycles, the plan
    is (or at least was) that it's going to be republished here:

    http://www.python.org/doc/faq/

    and thus be covered by python.org's search engine, like everything else
    on that site.

    (but maybe one could use google's new community search, or whatever it's
    called, to set up a local search engine for the pyfaq/pyref/pytut zones.
    hmm. that's one more thing on my todo list...)

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Nov 16, 2006