ANN: PyGUI 2.0.5

David Robinow

PyGUI 2.0.5 is available:
Still no idea what's causing the "object has been destroyed"
error on Windows XP, though. Does this happen for everyone?
Is there anyone who *has* got 12-scroll.py working for them
on XP?

Works fine for me. XP Pro Service Pack 3. Python 2.5.4 and Python
2.6.2 both work.

rzed

PyGUI 2.0.5 is available:

http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python_gui/

More bug fixes for various platforms.

Still no idea what's causing the "object has been destroyed"
error on Windows XP, though. Does this happen for everyone?
Is there anyone who *has* got 12-scroll.py working for them
on XP?

Works for me. I haven't seen an "object has been destroyed" error.

I note that 2.0.5 comments the WM_MOUSELEAVE event, which wasnt'
mapped in Events.py. Does that mean there is no way to signal such an
event? Is that a QT or PyQt limitation?

Suraj Barkale

Greg Ewing said:
PyGUI 2.0.5 is available:

http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python_gui/

More bug fixes for various platforms.

Tested on "Vista Home Premium 64bit" with Python 2.6.2 all tests pass except:
16-model_dialog.py - If the model dialog "Spanish Inqisition" is closed by
pressing ENTER key, it pops up again. However, clicking buttons works fine.

Minor nitpicks:
1. Menu accelerators are not enabled by default i.e. pressing Alt + F does not
open the File menu.
2. Alt + F4 does not close the window.
3. None of the controls (except menus) have _Vista look_ to them
(http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/14797/no_vista_theme.png).

Still no idea what's causing the "object has been destroyed"
error on Windows XP, though. Does this happen for everyone?
Is there anyone who *has* got 12-scroll.py working for them
on XP?
I have never seen this error either on XP or Vista. 12-scroll.py has always
worked for me.

Regards,
Suraj

greg

rzed said:
I note that 2.0.5 comments the WM_MOUSELEAVE event, which wasnt'
mapped in Events.py. Does that mean there is no way to signal such an
event?

I'm no longer promising to provide mouse_enter and
mouse_leave events on any platform for the time being.
It's not straightforward to implement them on Windows
and they never worked consistently between Cocoa and
Gtk anyway, so they weren't very useful.
> Is that a QT or PyQt limitation?

It's a Windows API awkwardness. You don't get
WM_MOUSELEAVE events automatically, you have to ask
for them, and there's no such thing as a WM_MOUSEENTER
event at all.

It's not impossible, just more bother than I want
to go to right now.

I'll reconsider the whole issue in the future if
use cases for these events come up. Right now I
don't have any.

greg

Suraj said:
Minor nitpicks:
1. Menu accelerators are not enabled by default i.e. pressing Alt + F does not
open the File menu.
2. Alt + F4 does not close the window.

I'll see if I can do something about these.
3. None of the controls (except menus) have _Vista look_ to them

I don't know what I need to do in order to get a
Vista look...

Suraj

I don't know what I need to do in order to get a
Vista look...

A closed issue in Python tracker http://bugs.python.org/issue5019
refers to similar problem reported by wxPython developers. AFAIK, the
solution used by the wxPython project can not be used with PyGUI as it
requires PyGUI to be compiled & loaded as a separate dll. I am not
sure if we should reopen this issue or create a new issue.

As a workaround to enable theme on Vista you need to:
1. Download http://bugs.python.org/file12995/python.exe.manifest
and copy it to Python installation directory
2. Execute following commands in python installation directory:
mt.exe -manifest python.exe.manifest -
outresource:python.exe;#1
mt.exe -manifest python.exe.manifest -
outresource:pythonw.exe;#1
Note: mt.exe is installed with Windows SDK.

P.S. I also found out that I can not run any tests if I use
pythonw.exe on Vista. I will check the same on XP and report back.

Regards,
Suraj