ANN: PyGUI 2.3

Terry Reedy

I suspect that "Python 2.3 or later is required." should read
"Python 2.3 to Python 2.7 is required.

Daniel Fetchinson

PyGUI 2.3 is available:
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python_gui/

This version works on Snow Leopard with PyObjC 2.3.

What is PyGUI?

Installation to a custom location with

python setup.py install --home=/home/fetchinson/.local

makes GUI un-importable:

[fetchinson@fetch ~]$ python
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Aug 21 2009, 12:23:57)
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):

The problem is that some part of the application gets installed to

/home/fetchinson/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/GUI

and some other parts get installed to

/home/fetchinson/.local/lib/python/site-packages/GUI

which makes the install broken. If I move everything from the latter
location to the former, it all works though.

Cheers,
Daniel

Gregory Ewing

Daniel said:
The problem is that some part of the application gets installed to

/home/fetchinson/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/GUI

and some other parts get installed to

/home/fetchinson/.local/lib/python/site-packages/GUI

Which parts get installed in which places, exactly?

I'm puzzled, because I can't see anything in the setup.py
that could result in things getting split up like this.
I'm wondering whether there is some breakage in distutils.

--
Greg

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.

Gregory Ewing

Daniel said:
Any reason your project is not easy_installable?

Mainly because I'm not a setuptools user and haven't been
motivated to learn how to do this so far.

Daniel Fetchinson

The problem is that some part of the application gets installed to
Which parts get installed in which places, exactly?

This gets installed to /home/fetchinson/.local/lib/python/GUI :

Generic
Gtk
__init__.py
__init__.pyc
Version.py
Version.pyc
_where.py
_where.pyc

And this gets installed to
/home/fetchinson/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/GUI :

Resources

I'm puzzled, because I can't see anything in the setup.py
that could result in things getting split up like this.
I'm wondering whether there is some breakage in distutils.

I honestly have no idea :)

Cheers,
Daniel