ANN: REXML 3.1.1

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Sean Russell, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. Sean Russell

    Sean Russell Guest

    This release consists primarily of improvements to the RelaxNG
    validation mechanism, although there are some bug fixes in here.
    Unless you're testing the validation code, you probably aren't
    interested in this.

    Here's the list of changes from 3.1.0:

    * Improved support for converting XPaths to strings.
    * XPath wasn't parsing ")" correctly.

    Validation improvements:
    * Fixed text support
    * Fixed <attribute>s in <choice>s
    * Fixed text in choices. This change improves handling of all events
    that occur without an end step (which is most of them).
    * Fixed a bunch of cases
    * Added support for <group>
    * Added support for <value>

    To be more concise, here is the list of implemented and unimplemented
    RelaxNG features:

    Implemented:
    * empty
    * element
    * attribute
    * text
    * optional
    * choice
    * oneOrMore
    * zeroOrMore
    * group
    * value

    Not implemented:
    * ref
    * interleave
    * mixed
    * grammar
    * start
    * define
    * data
    * param
    * include

    Incidentally, the documentation -- which has long been due for a
    rewrite -- is now scheduled to get that rewrite. There are a number
    of undocumented features of REXML, and most of the new documentation
    will be in the form of an expanded tutorial.

    As usual, you can get this version from the REXML homepage:

    http://www.germane-software.com/software/rexml

    --- SER
    Sean Russell, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Sean Russell

    Rich Guest

    Re: REXML 3.1.1

    I really appreciate the hard work you're putting into this... and I'm
    _really_ looking forward to the tutorials and new documentation!!

    -Richard

    Rich, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Sean Russell

    Sean Russell Guest

    Re: REXML 3.1.1

    Rich <> wrote in message news:<000801c44bfe$f835d370$f8df070a@stone>...
    > I really appreciate the hard work you're putting into this... and I'm
    > _really_ looking forward to the tutorials and new documentation!!

    Thanks! It is always good to know people find the effort useful.

    As regards the documentation: I don't know if you're aware of it, but
    in the REXML tarball is a directory called "test". In there are unit
    tests for almost every REXML feature. While it isn't a substitute for
    documentation, it does constitute a really good source of example
    code. One of the things that I've been meaning to do is make links
    from the API documentation to these files; it would be a nightmare to
    maintain, so I'm going to try to write a cross-referencing tool to
    automate the job... but I digress.

    --- SER
    Sean Russell, Jun 7, 2004