[ANN] Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by James Britt, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. James Britt

    James Britt Guest

    Request for Article Submissions

    Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

    The first issue of Ruby Code & Style hit the Web just before RubyConf
    2005, and it's time to get back in gear and roll out the next one.

    Ruby Code & Style is a free peer-reviewed on-line journal created by and
    for the Ruby community.

    We focus on bringing high-quality articles, written by Rubyists all over
    the world, showcasing the strengths of Ruby and the ingenuity of its
    users in solving real-life, non-trivial problems.

    We're looking for technical Ruby articles primarily geared toward
    experienced Ruby developers. Submissions are peer reviewed by our
    remarkable advisory board, which includes eminent members of the Ruby
    community.

    This is an opportunity to share your knowledge and experience with
    fellow Rubyists, and a unique chance to have your work vetted by some of
    the best Ruby minds around.

    While the first issue offered three articles, we're looking now at
    publishing work as it becomes available and suitable for release. This
    should improve the overall turnaround time, and help keep the zine fresh
    and exciting.

    Ruby Code & Style:
    http://www.artima.com/rubycs/index.html

    About RC&S:
    http://www.artima.com/rubycs/about.html

    Some technical details on article submissions:
    http://www.artima.com/rubycs/writeforus.html

    If you have any questions, please contact me at:

    James Britt
    Editor-in-Chief
    Ruby Code & Style

    James Britt, Dec 3, 2005

  2. James Britt

    Bill Guindon Guest

    Re: [ANN] Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

    On 12/3/05, James Britt <> wrote:
    > Request for Article Submissions
    >
    > Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

    Don't know if you ever got any replies to this, but I'd like to
    request a specific article.

    I'd love to see an article about using Ruby to build a DSL. Seems
    Austin Ziegler had mentioned that he had started work on one, not sure
    if he's finished it yet.

    I see a lot of DSL's out there, and a lot of talk about how Ruby makes
    building DSL's easier, but no comprehensive tutorial/overview for the
    topic.

    Any volunteers? Are there articles out there, and I just haven't found the=
    m?

    --
    Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

    Bill Guindon, Dec 14, 2005

  3. Re: Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

    Bill Guindon wrote:
    > On 12/3/05, James Britt <> wrote:
    >> Request for Article Submissions
    >>
    >> Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.
    >>

    > Don't know if you ever got any replies to this, but I'd like to
    > request a specific article.
    >
    > I'd love to see an article about using Ruby to build a DSL. Seems
    > Austin Ziegler had mentioned that he had started work on one, not sure
    > if he's finished it yet.
    >
    > I see a lot of DSL's out there, and a lot of talk about how Ruby makes
    > building DSL's easier, but no comprehensive tutorial/overview for the
    > topic.
    >
    > Any volunteers? Are there articles out there, and I just haven't found
    > them?

    Jim Weirich held a (reportedly very good) presentation on DSLs
    at RubyConf2005. At least Ryan Davis is hosting a PDF version:

    http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/RubyConf2005.html

    Eero Saynatkari, Dec 14, 2005
  4. James Britt

    James Britt Guest

    Bill Guindon wrote:
    > On 12/3/05, James Britt <> wrote:
    >
    >>Request for Article Submissions
    >>
    >>Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.
    >>

    > Don't know if you ever got any replies to this, but I'd like to
    > request a specific article.

    The response was nothing close to what I had hoped. But I, too, would
    like to see a good technical article on DSLs.

    James Britt

    http://www.30secondrule.com - Building Better Tools

    James Britt, Dec 14, 2005
  5. James Britt

    Bill Guindon Guest

    On 12/14/05, Eero Saynatkari <> wrote:
    > Bill Guindon wrote:
    > > On 12/3/05, James Britt <> wrote:
    > >> Request for Article Submissions
    > >>
    > >> Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.
    > >>

    > > Don't know if you ever got any replies to this, but I'd like to
    > > request a specific article.
    > >
    > > I'd love to see an article about using Ruby to build a DSL. Seems
    > > Austin Ziegler had mentioned that he had started work on one, not sure
    > > if he's finished it yet.
    > >
    > > I see a lot of DSL's out there, and a lot of talk about how Ruby makes
    > > building DSL's easier, but no comprehensive tutorial/overview for the
    > > topic.
    > >
    > > Any volunteers? Are there articles out there, and I just haven't found
    > > them?

    > Jim Weirich held a (reportedly very good) presentation on DSLs
    > at RubyConf2005. At least Ryan Davis is hosting a PDF version:
    >
    > http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/RubyConf2005.html

    Excellent, thanks for the link.
    Made me go dig up the videos, the two should go well together.
    http://brainspl.at/articles/2005/12/01/rubyconf-files-resurrected

    My request still stands though -- the more info the merrier.

    Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

    Bill Guindon, Dec 14, 2005
  6. James Britt

    Robert Evans Guest

    Re: Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

    I would also like very much to see a good tutorial on building DSLs
    in Ruby. Jim Weirich's talk was a good talk, but I am still missing
    some things.

    Bob Evans

    Robert Evans, Dec 15, 2005
  7. James Britt

    Kev Jackson Guest

    Re: [ANN] Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

    > The response was nothing close to what I had hoped. But I, too, would
    > like to see a good technical article on DSLs.

    I'd like to contribute, but I'm so bogged down here right now that I
    won't have time to write anything until at least next (solar) year.
    Besides I'm a relative newbie, so my 'code & style' is probably not the
    best - still I'd be happy to help

    Kev

    Kev Jackson, Dec 15, 2005
  8. James Britt

    Phil Tomson Guest

    Re: [ANN] Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

    In article <>,
    James Britt <> wrote:
    >Bill Guindon wrote:
    >> On 12/3/05, James Britt <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Request for Article Submissions
    >>>
    >>>Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.
    >>>

    >> Don't know if you ever got any replies to this, but I'd like to
    >> request a specific article.

    >The response was nothing close to what I had hoped. But I, too, would
    >like to see a good technical article on DSLs.

    I'd like to 'sign up' to do an article on creating DSLs with Ruby, though I
    can't really start working on something like that until after mid-February
    (after my thesis defense :). Also, I'm not sure that the two DSLs I've created
    using Ruby (RHDL - Ruby Hardware Description Language and QDL- Quantum Design
    Language) have enough mainstream appeal, so I'd probably have to come up with
    some other example DSL.

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Dec 15, 2005
  9. James Britt

    Hugh Sasse Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Phil Tomson wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > James Britt <> wrote:
    > >
    > >The response was nothing close to what I had hoped. But I, too, would
    > >like to see a good technical article on DSLs.
    > >

    > I'd like to 'sign up' to do an article on creating DSLs with Ruby, though I
    > can't really start working on something like that until after mid-February
    > (after my thesis defense :). Also, I'm not sure that the two DSLs I've created
    > using Ruby (RHDL - Ruby Hardware Description Language and QDL- Quantum Design
    > Language) have enough mainstream appeal, so I'd probably have to come up with

    What's QDL about? Anything to do with statecharts like
    http://www.quantum-leaps.com/
    perhaps?
    > some other example DSL.
    >
    > Phil