[ANN]RubyGems/RubyForge integration

Chad Fowler

Hello all (please excuse if you get this post twice--email server
problems),

I wanted to let everyone know that yesterday, Rich and Tom from
Infoether setup a script on RubyForge (http://rubyforge.org) that will
automatically "install"
all new RubyGem files in the file release areas into the central
RubyGems
repository. So, if you create a new RubyGem and release it on
RubyForge,
within a few minutes, it will be available via the remote gem commands.

For example, when David H. H. released ActiveRecord 0.8.1 this morning,
he sent me an email asking me to copy it to the gem repository. I did
the
following to find that it was already available there:

[chad@ns1 chad]$ gem -R --search activerecord

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

...snip...
activerecord-0.8.0
Implements the ActiveRecord pattern for ORM.

activerecord-0.8.1
Implements the ActiveRecord pattern for ORM.

[chad@ns1 chad]$

-----

So, all you have to do is release the gem file on RubyForge, and the
Ruby community can
just do:

gem -Ri yourgem

...and it will automatically download and install your gem and its
dependencies.

Keep those gems coming!

Chad

What is RubyGems?
-----------------
RubyGems (http://rubygems.rubyforge.org) is an advanced package manager
for Ruby libraries and applications, similar in many ways to the Debian
apt system and to Perl's CPAN module. It expands on these systems in
that
it manages library versions and allows you to maintain multiple versions
of the same library (with automated dependency resolution).

Richard Kilmer

Important additional note...you need to name the file with a .gem
extension...that is what gets copied over. When the gem builder builds
your gem it appends this extension...just leave it there and upload it
accordingly.

Thanks,

Rich