ANN: The release of BlackAdder V1.0.0 - this time for real :)

John Dean

Hi
I would like to announce, for real this time, the release of BlackAdder
V1.0.0. We have just finished our weekly conference during which I was give
specific instructions by Shawn Gordon to make this announcement

I have uploaded the demos to http://www.rygannon.com and to
http://www.totalrekall.co.uk

For all those who have already bought the beta release if you visit your
download basket at http://www.thekompany.com you will find your copy of BA
V1.0.0 ready and waiting
For those who would like to buy a copy of BA V1.0.0 you too can visit
http://www.thekompany.com/products/blackadder

What is Blackadder?
-----------------------------

BlackAdder is an application development environment that allows
professional and hobbyist programmers alike to produce complex applications
for the Windows and Linux platforms.

BlackAdder brings together the Python programming language, the Ruby
development language (Ruby is temporarily removed until the Qt bindings are
updated to Qt3, currently in progress), the Qt graphical user interface
(GUI) toolkit, ODBC database connectivity and an Integrated Development
Environment (IDE) that includes an editor, a GUI designer, a debugger and an
interactive Python interpreter. (A Ruby interpreter, debugger and ODBC
support for Ruby are not yet available.) BlackAdder gives the programmer, in
a single package, all they need to develop sophisticated applications.

Lothar Scholz

John Dean said:
Hi
I would like to announce, for real this time, the release of BlackAdder
V1.0.0. We have just finished our weekly conference during which I was give
specific instructions by Shawn Gordon to make this announcement

I have uploaded the demos to http://www.rygannon.com and to
http://www.totalrekall.co.uk

How about a useable trial version instead of demos.

As long as i can't try it out for 30 days in real work (saving files)
i will never consider buying it.

Ken Godee

Lothar said:
How about a useable trial version instead of demos.

As long as i can't try it out for 30 days in real work (saving files)
i will never consider buying it.

I downloaded the demo and as far as I can tell it's fully fuctional
Here's a quote from the opening screen......

"Thank you for trying out Black Adder.
This, demo, version is fully functional but can only be run for a short
period of time. Please consider buying a copy - you will be supporting
the development of a great tool!"

Just what you asked for I believe, "useable trial".
Saves files,etc. and works great, nice tool.

Lothar Scholz

Ken Godee said:
I downloaded the demo and as far as I can tell it's fully fuctional
Here's a quote from the opening screen......

and heres a quote from the web site.

------------
A demonstration version of BlackAdder can be downloaded at no charge.
The demonstration version has the following limitations.
You cannot save any changes to Python or Ruby scripts or GUI form
designs.

There is no HTML documentation.

There is no Python Qt extension module. You can download this for
yourself from the PyQt/PyKDE homepage.

There is no ODBC connectivity. You can download this for yourself from
http://www.lemburg.com/files/python/eGenix-mx-Extensions.html.

Todd Stephens

Lothar Scholz wrote in article
i hope that there support for the program is better then the support
for their website. Everything in the last weeks doesn't look very
promising.

TheKompany.com is somewhat notorious for not updating their website as they
update the apps. They are heavily involved in embedded app development as
well as much larger projects like BlackAdder, Kobol, and Aethera to name
just a few. I guess sometimes updating the website falls through the
cracks. I would go by what the person who actually tried the demo said.

Ken Godee

----

i hope that there support for the program is better then the support
for their website. Everything in the last weeks doesn't look very
promising.

I downloaded it all right from there site, Qt<->python converted html
docs as well (except ODBC, on win32 I use pyscopg).

Know matter how you look at it, This is a GREAT DEAL, just for the
Qt/pyqt license issue's alone!
The kompany has put together a good deal with Trolltech and riverbank
for python users. $79 personal and $399 commercial with rights to
distribute the run-time elements.
I guess one could stick with straight c++ and pay trolltech $2,000 plus
per developer instead if you wanted to :)
(opps, for win32 platform development might want to spend another grand+
to compile with MS VC++ compiler)

John Dean

I have to agree with the assertion that theKompany.com very slow to update
the web site, hence the reason why I have sort of taken it upon myself to do
something about it. I work for theKompany.com and no matter how hard I push,
nothing ever seems to get done. They all agree that improvement have to be
made. TheKompany.com will still handle sales but my web site will handle
promotion and marketing - www.rygannon.com
Even though BA is not my project (I am the co-author of Rekall - a Python
programmable cross platform database independant GUI database client - sorry
for the shameless plug) I will do whatever I can to keep the group and my
web site up to date. One thing I would like to do it to set up a BA Forum on
www.rygannon.com. Freeback, suggestions, criticism (good or bad), etc is
essential for the developement and improvement of any software project. I
will make sure any and all posts get a mention at our weekly conference.
Therefore, I encourage anybody and everybody who has an interest in the
present and future development of BA (or any other of theKompany's projects)
to register as a user at www.rygannon.com.

John J. Lee

Ken Godee said:
Lothar Scholz wrote: [...]
I downloaded it all right from there site, Qt<->python converted html
docs as well (except ODBC, on win32 I use pyscopg).

Know matter how you look at it, This is a GREAT DEAL, just for the
Qt/pyqt license issue's alone!
The kompany has put together a good deal with Trolltech and riverbank
for python users. $79 personal and $399 commercial with rights to
distribute the run-time elements.
I guess one could stick with straight c++ and pay trolltech $2,000
plus per developer instead if you wanted to :)
(opps, for win32 platform development might want to spend another
grand+ to compile with MS VC++ compiler)

John, is Ken right that buying the commercial BlackAdder license means
you don't have to pay for the TT license too? Certainly a good deal
if so.

John

John J. Lee

John Dean said:
I have to agree with the assertion that theKompany.com very slow to update
the web site, hence the reason why I have sort of taken it upon myself to do
something about it. I work for theKompany.com and no matter how hard I push,
nothing ever seems to get done. They all agree that improvement have to be
made. TheKompany.com will still handle sales but my web site will handle
promotion and marketing - www.rygannon.com
[...]

We have to give you full marks for honesty, I think. :)

John

Bob Gailer

[snip]
i hope that there support for the program is better then the support
for their website. Everything in the last weeks doesn't look very promising.

I sat yesterday with a friend going thru the latest version's tutorial.
theKompany did not effectively test the tutorial. (Meaning act as a total
newcomer and follow the instructions literally.) The number of errors is
high (what IS an acceptable error count?). We had to guess, backtrack,
experiment to get through. This raises the cost of ownership.

The UI did not always perform as one would expect or desire.

The editor leaves a lot to be desired (auto-indent, parentheses matching,
cursor at end of line after click, pane splitter, ...). If any of these
features are present, the tutorial gave no clue as to how to access them. I
had hoped to move from PythonWin to BA, but the PythonWin editor is so
superior I guess I'll use the BA editor just for Qt-related code.

The main.py module generator created code that threw an exception.

I wonder what process theKompany uses for proofing documentation. The
process is obviously not effective.

I opened a bug on the BA Mantis system to report the existence of some
non-Python code in the PyQt Docs. The response was, in effect, "where do
you see this", and the bug was closed so I could not even answer the
question. I'd like to think that their document review process would catch
these problems.

I wonder whether they have any kind of usability lab where their designers
get to sit with some of us developers and see what needs to be changed in
the UI.

I am confused when they ask for feedback and then do not respond to it in
an effective manner.

Bob Gailer
(e-mail address removed)
303 442 2625

Simon Bayling

Since you mention this, on my windows dual-monitor setup, The BlackAdder
splash screen and tips box open in the middle, spanning the gap between
displays...

Cheers,
Simon.

Lothar Scholz

John, is Ken right that buying the commercial BlackAdder license means
you don't have to pay for the TT license too? Certainly a good deal
if so.

Yes, please answer about this topic. This is one thing that would be
great but there is also no clue on the website about it.

John Dean

Hi
You may or may know that BA is based on the Qt GUI Application Toolkit, so
you problem with the duel monitor set up is something I shall take up with
Trolltech. Unfortunately, none of use at theKompany run a duel monitor setup
so it is something that we are not aware of. Thank you for bring up this
problem and I will get back to you with a solution or our proposal for a
solution

John Dean

Thank you John
I don't see any point in making lame excuses, since most people are smart
enough to see through rubbish. After all, we are only human and we should
honest enough to admit to our failings

yaipa h.

You have our permission to go out an buy that second monitor,
so that this DREADFUL problem never happens again. ;^)
Someone has to run the regressions on a dual headed system
and you get our vote.

On a more serious note, you will find that you use the office printer
a whole lot less on a dual head machine.

--Alan

Ken Godee

yaipa said:
You have our permission to go out an buy that second monitor,
so that this DREADFUL problem never happens again. ;^)
Someone has to run the regressions on a dual headed system
and you get our vote.

On a more serious note, you will find that you use the office printer
a whole lot less on a dual head machine.

--Alan

boy, I didn't want to keep jumping in on this Black Adder thing but.....

I also run dual monitors and Black Adder / Qt designer / pyqt apps do
not have any problems splitting the screens.

I'm only testing the Black Adder demo version on win32(98se) though,
Nvidia (without thier goofy utilities, that screw up everything)
I forget what dual head card/reference design that's in that machine
but it's an under $100.00 card.

Lothar Scholz

John Dean said:
Hi
You may or may know that BA is based on the Qt GUI Application Toolkit, so
you problem with the duel monitor set up is something I shall take up with
Trolltech. Unfortunately, none of use at theKompany run a duel monitor setup
so it is something that we are not aware of. Thank you for bring up this
problem and I will get back to you with a solution or our proposal for a
solution

Today a dual monitor should be a normal environment for developers. I
hope you have at least a dual CPU system to test if BA works well on
multi processor machines (which you can't test on single CPU systems
well enough).

Ray Smith

Yes, please answer about this topic. This is one thing that would be
great but there is also no clue on the website about it.

The web page mentions a number of times that nothing else is required,

Quotes from the BA web page:

"BlackAdder gives the programmer, in a single package, all they need
to develop sophisticated applications."

" A complete cross-platform Integrated Development Environment for
developing GUI applications in Python and Ruby. You don't need
anything else."

"Personal and Business Editions. The Business Edition includes
optional support and the rights to distribute the run-time elements
with your application at no extra charge."

"Detailed Features...
The Professional version of the Qt GUI toolkit (v3.x) including:
* the Canvas module
* the Table module
* the Database module
* Qsocket, QserverSocket, and Qhost Address classes from the
Network module."

"Business Edition Features...
# Includes the rights to distribute the run-time elements (except
mxODBC) with your application. "

"Requirements
BlackAdder requires Python version 2.2.x. "

Although it doesn't explicity say .. "You are NOT required to buy QT
or PyQT
licenses..." it says a number of times .. that nothing else is
required to make
and distribute full blown applications, and it also lists the only
requirement
as Python 2.2.x. So with all that info one must "assume" QT and PyQT
licenses
are included with BA!!!

Regards,

Ray Smith

Simon Bayling

I see your smiley, but still;

Is there a bug so trivial that you would rather leave it than fix it?
You have our permission to go out an buy that second monitor,
so that this DREADFUL problem never happens again. ;^)

- Simon.