    in compact and efficient PNG format. Suitable for use in all kinds of
    webpages where a clickable US map is needed.

    More information and a demonstration at http://www.intsysr.com/gis.htm

    Gregory Vaughan, Jan 17, 2004

  2. Gregory Vaughan

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:IacOb.12056$>
    "Gregory Vaughan" <> said:

    > USAMAP is an HTML client-side image map of the continental United States.

    "as the cursor is positioned over each active state, the name of the
    state appears as a tooltip"

    no it doesn't.

    alt = text [CS]
    For user agents that cannot display images, forms, or applets, this
    attribute specifies alternate text. The language of the alternate text
    is specified by the lang attribute.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#adef-alt

    title = text [CS]
    This attribute offers advisory information about the element for which
    it is set.
    [...]
    Values of the title attribute may be rendered by user agents in a
    variety of ways. For instance, visual browsers frequently display the
    title as a "tool tip" (a short message that appears when the pointing
    device pauses over an object). [...]
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#adef-title

    > http://www.intsysr.com/gis.htm

    and only $1.33 per error

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 17, 2004

  3. In article <IacOb.12056$>,
    says...
    > USAMAP is an HTML client-side image map of the continental United States.It
    > contains active links for all 48 lower states (plus DC), and a map graphic
    > in compact and efficient PNG format. Suitable for use in all kinds of
    > webpages where a clickable US map is needed.
    >
    > More information and a demonstration at http://www.intsysr.com/gis.htm

    $20 - even at the excellent £/$ rate, that still's a rip-off. Besides,
    how can you possibly know how many sites the code is used on? How will
    you know that it's your image map - a slight tweak to the size of the
    image width, shift all the x coords to the left, and hey presto! A new
    image map. Easy.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 17, 2004
  4. We've now updated the map to use "title=" instead of "alt=". Apologies for
    the oversight.

    Gregory Vaughan, Jan 17, 2004
  5. Gregory Vaughan wrote:
    > We've now updated the map to use "title=" instead of "alt=". Apologies for
    > the oversight.

    You should be using *both*.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 17, 2004
  6. Yes, it currently does use both. thanks

    Gregory Vaughan, Jan 17, 2004
  7. Re: USA HTML image map

    While the city slept, Gregory Vaughan <> feverishly typed:

    > USAMAP is an HTML client-side image map of the continental United
    > States. It contains active links for all 48 lower states (plus DC),

    You missed Britain off. ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, Jan 17, 2004
  8. Gregory Vaughan

    Richard Guest

    Gregory Vaughan wrote:

    > USAMAP is an HTML client-side image map of the continental United States.
    > It contains active links for all 48 lower states (plus DC), and a map
    > graphic in compact and efficient PNG format. Suitable for use in all
    > kinds of webpages where a clickable US map is needed.

    > More information and a demonstration at http://www.intsysr.com/gis.htm

    This area is public domain and fair use.
    A clickable USA map is nothing new by any means.
    Any one who wants to take the time can do the same thing for free.
    Copyrighting of such material is ludicrous.

    BTW brucie, the page did clearly state only a few states were active for the
    demo.

    Richard, Jan 17, 2004
  9. Richard wrote:
    > Gregory Vaughan wrote:
    >
    > > USAMAP is an HTML client-side image map of the continental United States.
    > > It contains active links for all 48 lower states (plus DC), and a map
    > > graphic in compact and efficient PNG format. Suitable for use in all
    > > kinds of webpages where a clickable US map is needed.

    > > More information and a demonstration at http://www.intsysr.com/gis.htm

    > This area is public domain and fair use.
    > A clickable USA map is nothing new by any means.
    > Any one who wants to take the time can do the same thing for free.
    > Copyrighting of such material is ludicrous.

    You keep talking about copyright in the weirdest terms. Do you know
    anything about copyright law?

    For starters, 'fair use' and 'public domain' are on completely opposite
    ends of the permission spectrum.

    JustAnotherGuy, Jan 18, 2004