Generating HTML image map from a SVG file

Torben Hoffmann

Hi,

I have searched high and low for an answer to this, but I have not been
able to find it.

I have found tools (such as Batik) to generate a gif|jpeg|png from a SVG
file, but I would also like to extract the links in the SVG file into a
HTML image map.

I want to produce my drawings in SVG, but postpone the requirement of
the users of my pages to install the Adobe SVG viewer plugin (for my
group of users this is considered to much hazzle). The day that SVG gets
proper support in IE I'll just go and run a script on my files and start
using the SVG files from that point on.

This may seem like an ancient way of doing it, but I have a large group
of users that I cannot afford to alienate just because I am a tech freak.

Thanks in advance,
Torben

Volkm@r

Torben said:
Hi,

I have searched high and low for an answer to this, but I have not been
able to find it.

I have found tools (such as Batik) to generate a gif|jpeg|png from a SVG [...]

file, but I would also like to extract the links in the SVG file into a
HTML image map.

I want to produce my drawings in SVG, but postpone the requirement of
the users of my pages to install the Adobe SVG viewer plugin (for my
group of users this is considered to much hazzle). The day that SVG gets
proper support in IE I'll just go and run a script on my files and start
[...]

Not IE, but Deer Park Alpha 1 (Firefox) has already got some nice SVG
support. <http://mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=6708>.