Generating HTML image map from a SVG file

Discussion in 'XML' started by Torben Hoffmann, Jun 22, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I have searched high and low for an answer to this, but I have not been
    able to find it.

    I have found tools (such as Batik) to generate a gif|jpeg|png from a SVG
    file, but I would also like to extract the links in the SVG file into a
    HTML image map.

    I want to produce my drawings in SVG, but postpone the requirement of
    the users of my pages to install the Adobe SVG viewer plugin (for my
    group of users this is considered to much hazzle). The day that SVG gets
    proper support in IE I'll just go and run a script on my files and start
    using the SVG files from that point on.

    This may seem like an ancient way of doing it, but I have a large group
    of users that I cannot afford to alienate just because I am a tech freak.

    Thanks in advance,
    Torben
    --

    p.s. The views expressed above are my own.
    p.p.s. Remove .nospam in address to reply.

    Torben Hoffmann, Jun 22, 2005

  2. Torben Hoffmann

    Volkm@r Guest

    Torben Hoffmann wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have searched high and low for an answer to this, but I have not been
    > able to find it.
    >
    > I have found tools (such as Batik) to generate a gif|jpeg|png from a SVG

    [...]

    Did you try <http://www.inkscape.org/>?
    (Not sure if it has the feature you are looking for)

    > file, but I would also like to extract the links in the SVG file into a
    > HTML image map.
    >
    > I want to produce my drawings in SVG, but postpone the requirement of
    > the users of my pages to install the Adobe SVG viewer plugin (for my
    > group of users this is considered to much hazzle). The day that SVG gets
    > proper support in IE I'll just go and run a script on my files and start

    [...]

    Not IE, but Deer Park Alpha 1 (Firefox) has already got some nice SVG
    support. <http://mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=6708>.
    --
    Volkm@r

    Volkm@r, Jun 23, 2005