ANN: WHIFF.0.7 += GAE + jQueryUI + internationalization + testdrive =(last beta?)

Aaron Watters

ANNOUNCING WHIFF [WSGI HTTP Integrated Filesystem Frames] release 0.7

WHIFF INDEX PAGE: http://whiff.sourceforge.net

The new release adds many new features, including

- Google app engine support with tutorial:
http://whiffdoc.appspot.com/docs/W1100_2300.GAEDeploy
- jQueryUI interactive widget support with tutorial:
http://whiffdoc.appspot.com/docs/W1100_1450.jQueryUI
- Internationalization tutorial:
http://whiffdoc.appspot.com/docs/W1100_1700.international
- "no install" test drive:
http://whiffdoc.appspot.com/docs/W1100_0500.TestDrive

Also the WHIFF documentation is now hosted on Google App
Engine at the http://whiffdoc.appspot.com/ domain.

What is WHIFF?

WHIFF is a collection of support services for
WSGI/Python web applications which allows applications
to be composed by "dropping" dynamic pages into
container directories. This mode of development will
be familiar to developers who have created PHP applications,
vanilla CGI scripts, Apache/modpy Publisher applications,
JSP pages, or static web content.

The WHIFF implementation significantly generalizes
the "drop in" paradigm to support WSGI middleware
components and application fragments as well as
stand-alone pages.

WHIFF provides other services in addition to
supporting "drop in" components, such as managed
application resources.

WHIFF requires Python 2.5 or better to run out-of-the-box.

Unless significant problems appear in the next
month or so I think this release will be the last beta
release and the next release will add a couple
more features to become WHIFF 1.0.

For more fun please have a look at my community
list/tree maker at http://listtree.appspot.com
which is inspired by Guido van Rossum's excellent
faqwiz. ListTree is implemented on Google App
Engine using WHIFF.

I hope you like.
-- Aaron Watters

===
Talk low.
Talk slow.
And don't say a lot.
-- John Wayne's advice to Clint Eastwood

Terry Reedy

Aaron said:
Also the WHIFF documentation is now hosted on Google App
Engine at the http://whiffdoc.appspot.com/ domain.

When I went there and clicked on the "scatter chart is generated by a
straightforward invocation of the standard WHIFF OpenFlashChart
middleware: ", Firefox *immediately* opened the 'Official' page of a
well-known ugly cult www.sci-----logy.org in a new tab. Something is
very, very wrong. I really hope this was not intentional on your part.

When I load the doc page again and click the chart box again, the chart
is reloaded from the local cache instead of your site and no tab is opened.

tjr

Aaron Watters

When I went there and clicked on the "scatter chart is generated by a
straightforward invocation of the standard WHIFF OpenFlashChart
middleware: ", Firefox *immediately* opened the 'Official' page of a
well-known ugly cultwww.sci-----logy.orgin a new tab. Something is
very, very wrong. I really hope this was not intentional on your part.

When I load the doc page again and click the chart box again, the chart
is reloaded from the local cache instead of your site and no tab is opened.

tjr

That was a joke in the tree view. You clicked on the "science link"
in the tree hierarchy. I will fix it due to your complaint.

Nothing is very very wrong :), it was just a misguided joke
(the bio link also goes off to someone fisherman's biography...)

Sorry about that. Thanks for the feedback.
-- Aaron Watters

===
want a friend?
get a dog. -- Truman

Aaron Watters

That was a joke in the tree view.  You clicked on the "science link"
in the tree hierarchy.  I will fix it due to your complaint.

Fixed. Now clicking on the same link goes to "Scientific American".

http://whiffdoc.appspot.com/

Is that humourless enough for you? :)
You are now immortalized in the WHIFF repository

http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/whiffRepo.cgi/rev/6d8c650102dd

Please let me know if anything else offends your
sensibilities.

Thanks again, -- Aaron Watters

===
an apple every 8 hours
will keep 3 doctors away. -- kliban

Terry Reedy

Aaron said:
Fixed. Now clicking on the same link goes to "Scientific American".

Perhaps I was not clear enough. I am using FireFox 3.5 with Flashblock
which blocks Flash content until one clicks twice on the space to
explicitly open the Flash content. When I clicked on the space for your
OpenFlashChart example, that is when the new window opended up, without
warning, before I even saw the chart. I cannot reproduce this now
because the chart seems to be in the local cache.

If I had clcked on the link that is formatted as a link, that would have
been a different matter, and I would have merely suggested a change such
as the one you made, which I do approve of.

Terry Jan Reedy