[ANN] ZenTest 3.0.0 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ryan Davis, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. Ryan Davis

    Ryan Davis Guest

    ZenTest version 3.0.0 has been released!

    http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenTest/

    == DESCRIPTION

    ZenTest provides 3 different tools: zentest, unit_diff, and autotest.

    ZenTest scans your target and unit-test code and writes your missing
    code based on simple naming rules, enabling XP at a much quicker
    pace. ZenTest only works with Ruby and Test::Unit.

    unit_diff is a command-line filter to diff expected results from
    actual results and allow you to quickly see exactly what is wrong.

    autotest is a continous testing facility meant to be used during
    development. As soon as you save a file, autotest will run the
    corresponding dependent tests.

    There are two strategies intended for ZenTest: test conformance
    auditing and rapid XP.

    For auditing, ZenTest provides an excellent means of finding methods
    that have slipped through the testing process. I've run it against my
    own software and found I missed a lot in a well tested
    package. Writing those tests found 4 bugs I had no idea existed.

    ZenTest can also be used to evaluate generated code and execute your
    tests, allowing for very rapid development of both tests and
    implementation.

    == FEATURES/PROBLEMS

    * Scans your ruby code and tests and generates missing methods for you.
    * Includes a very helpful filter for Test::Unit output called unit_diff.
    * Continually and intelligently test only those files you change with
    autotest.
    * Includes a LinuxJournal article on testing with ZenTest written by
    Pat Eyler.

    http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenTest/

    Changes:

    + 2 major enhancements
    + Added autotest and rails_autotest. YAY for continous testing!
    + Repackaged and gemified. YAY for gemification!
    + 3 minor enhancements
    + Added non-mappable tests starting with test_integration_.
    + Lots of code and test refactoring and cleanup.
    + Massive improvement on unit tests.
    + 3 bug fixes
    + Cleaned up class method inheritence. Esp relevant for rails testing.
    + Finally fixed the unit_diff parse bug!
    + Fixed improper counting of errors if a class was missing, should
    be 1 + missing methods.

    http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenTest/
    Ryan Davis, Mar 7, 2006

  2. On 3/6/06, Ryan Davis <> wrote:

    > ZenTest version 3.0.0 has been released!
    >
    > http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenTest/
    >
    > =3D=3D DESCRIPTION
    >
    > ZenTest provides 3 different tools: zentest, unit_diff, and autotest.
    >
    > ZenTest scans your target and unit-test code and writes your missing
    > code based on simple naming rules, enabling XP at a much quicker
    > pace. ZenTest only works with Ruby and Test::Unit.
    >
    > unit_diff is a command-line filter to diff expected results from
    > actual results and allow you to quickly see exactly what is wrong.
    >
    > autotest is a continous testing facility meant to be used during
    > development. As soon as you save a file, autotest will run the
    > corresponding dependent tests.

    This is awesome. Thanks, Ryan!
    Wilson Bilkovich, Mar 7, 2006

  3. Ryan Davis

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Ryan Davis wrote:

    > ZenTest version 3.0.0 has been released!

    Excellent news.

    > ZenTest scans your target and unit-test code and writes your missing
    > code based on simple naming rules, enabling XP at a much quicker
    > pace. ZenTest only works with Ruby and Test::Unit.

    This has always sounded scary to me as written because
    it goes against the behavior notion best described by
    Astels: http://blog.daveastels.com/?p=53

    > unit_diff is a command-line filter to diff expected results from
    > actual results and allow you to quickly see exactly what is wrong.

    I've always thought that this should be folded into test/unit
    as an option.

    Ryan/Nathaniel, what say you?

    Later,
    --
    Test-infected, Bil
    http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov
    Bil Kleb, Mar 7, 2006
  4. Ryan Davis

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Mar 7, 2006, at 6:48 AM, Bil Kleb wrote:

    > Ryan Davis wrote:
    >> ZenTest version 3.0.0 has been released!

    > Excellent news.
    >
    >> ZenTest scans your target and unit-test code and writes your missing
    >> code based on simple naming rules, enabling XP at a much quicker
    >> pace. ZenTest only works with Ruby and Test::Unit.

    > This has always sounded scary to me as written because
    > it goes against the behavior notion best described by
    > Astels: http://blog.daveastels.com/?p=53

    On the "What Then?" slide I see this:

    * small, focused pieces of behaviour
    * sub-method
    * an interesting method will have several facets to its behaviour

    For me this throws up a big flag that says the code isn't factored
    properly. A method should be a small, focused piece of behavior
    without several facets to its behavior. If a method does more than
    one thing it should be broken into methods that each do one thing.

    When you write your code in small units of behavior mapped to methods
    then ZenTest is a perfect match. If you have poorly factored code
    and big methods with many outputs and inputs test coverage is very
    difficult to judge because you can't easily track what goes on inside
    your methods and match it up to test cases.

    --
    Eric Hodel - - http://blog.segment7.net

    http://trackmap.robotcoop.com
    Eric Hodel, Mar 7, 2006