ANNOUNCE: libmsgque 3.1

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andreas Otto, May 12, 2009.

  1. Andreas Otto

    Andreas Otto Guest

    ANNOUNCE a major feature improvement of libmsgque ...


    What is LibMsgque
    =================

    LibMsgque is an OS independent, Programming Language independent and
    Hardware independent solution to link applications together to act like a
    single application. Or with other words, LibMsgque is an Application-Server
    toolkit.


    Highlights of the current Release:
    =================================

    This release introduce a couple of highlights into the LibMsgque World
    including the Python 3.01 support and a brand new Tcl/Java interface

    As bonus an C/Tcl/Java/Python performance test was added using the
    following conditions:

    1. same basic native library -> libmsgque (written in C)
    2. same user -> me
    3. same performance management tool
    4. same code workflow using the native language interface
    to link libmsgque with a language specific service
    handler
    5. testing the following aspects:
    a) application startup/shutdown performance
    b) synchronous and asynchronous transaction performance
    c) spawn, fork and thread process creation performance

    -> results: http://libmsgque.sourceforge.net/performance.htm


    Programmer-Visible-Changes:
    ===========================

    Add Python 3.01 support
    This is the next step to provide an OS and programming language
    independent solution

    New Tcl and Java Library binding
    Now Tcl, Java and Python using the same function namespace
    to improve the cross language code readability

    C library improvement including better error checking support
    Add more error-case checking

    Add new test hardware, apple iBook (ppc) running Debian 5
    Put my old iBook back to live

    Re-Add big/little endian support
    Now be able to test endianness

    Improve 32Bit/64Bit support
    Code Cleanup

    Add new documentation
    Entire new documentation and examples were added


    The Web-Site was updated:
    =========================

    -> http://libmsgque.sourceforge.net

    For a fast introduction use the following URL:

    -> http://libmsgque.sourceforge.net/features.htm



    mfg

    Andreas Otto
    Andreas Otto, May 12, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Andreas Otto

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Tue, 12 May 2009, Andreas Otto wrote:

    > What is LibMsgque
    > =================
    >
    > LibMsgque is an OS independent, Programming Language independent and
    > Hardware independent solution to link applications together to act like a
    > single application. Or with other words, LibMsgque is an Application-Server
    > toolkit.


    So, did you find out about CORBA yet?

    tom

    --
    The revolution will not be televised. The revolution will be live.
    Tom Anderson, May 12, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Andreas Otto

    Lew Guest

    Andreas Otto wrote:
    > ANNOUNCE a major feature improvement of libmsgque ...
    >
    >
    > What is LibMsgque
    > =================
    >
    > LibMsgque is an OS independent, Programming Language independent and


    I think the "announce" newsgroups are the appropriate places for this type of
    post.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, May 13, 2009
    #3
  4. Andreas Otto

    Andreas Otto Guest

    Tom Anderson wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 May 2009, Andreas Otto wrote:
    >
    >> What is LibMsgque
    >> =================
    >>
    >> LibMsgque is an OS independent, Programming Language independent and
    >> Hardware independent solution to link applications together to act like a
    >> single application. Or with other words, LibMsgque is an
    >> Application-Server toolkit.

    >
    > So, did you find out about CORBA yet?
    >
    > tom
    >


    Hi,

    nice to hear from you ...
    -> you are a CORBA fan ...

    2 major points again CORBA:

    1. libmsgque does more than CORBA, I call it
    an application server toolkit ..
    if you read the docs than you'll find it out

    2. the job, I earn my money with, is to take-over
    an "old" project (I call it so) and I convert it back to
    a "living" project -> most projects in the world are "old"
    projects started as "high technical project" and end as
    something that the people used to live with and not
    want to. One of my last projects, I turned into a
    "living" project, was a client/server app based on CORBA
    -> I don't want to annoy you with the glory details,
    but just the decision to use CORBA (an implementation
    of a well known software vendor) add an extra TCO
    (total cost of ownership) of 3 million euro payed
    by the customers -> they don't want to use CORBA anymore

    -> this is, in fact, the only reason which count

    mfg

    Andreas Otto
    Andreas Otto, May 13, 2009
    #4
  5. Andreas Otto

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Wed, 13 May 2009, Andreas Otto wrote:

    > Tom Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 12 May 2009, Andreas Otto wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is LibMsgque
    >>> =================
    >>>
    >>> LibMsgque is an OS independent, Programming Language independent and
    >>> Hardware independent solution to link applications together to act like a
    >>> single application. Or with other words, LibMsgque is an
    >>> Application-Server toolkit.

    >>
    >> So, did you find out about CORBA yet?

    >
    > nice to hear from you ...
    > -> you are a CORBA fan ...


    I wouldn't say that! I think CORBA had gone out of fashion before i
    started shaving ...

    > 2 major points again CORBA:
    >
    > 1. libmsgque does more than CORBA, I call it
    > an application server toolkit ..
    > if you read the docs than you'll find it out


    I had a bit of a read, and it looked like a small but useful CORBA subset
    plus some interesting tools.

    > 2. the job, I earn my money with, is to take-over
    > an "old" project (I call it so) and I convert it back to
    > a "living" project -> most projects in the world are "old"
    > projects started as "high technical project" and end as
    > something that the people used to live with and not
    > want to. One of my last projects, I turned into a
    > "living" project, was a client/server app based on CORBA
    > -> I don't want to annoy you with the glory details,
    > but just the decision to use CORBA (an implementation
    > of a well known software vendor) add an extra TCO
    > (total cost of ownership) of 3 million euro payed
    > by the customers -> they don't want to use CORBA anymore
    >
    > -> this is, in fact, the only reason which count


    Wow. That's a striking story. Could you share some of the gory details?
    What were the problems with CORBA?

    From what i know of the field, the real sticking point has always been
    interoperability: an ORB from vendor A won't work will with one from
    vendor B, or vendor X's binding to language P doesn't work with vendor Y's
    binding to Q, or something like that. Of course, with your library,
    there's no interoperability problem because there's only one vendor, you,
    but you can always (well, usually) single-source a CORBA solution, too.
    And there have been enough big, serious projects done with CORBA that we
    know it *can* be done.

    But clearly, your experience is that CORBA can go very badly wrong, so i'm
    interested to learn why!

    tom

    --
    If it ain't broke, open it up and see what makes it so bloody special.
    Tom Anderson, May 13, 2009
    #5
  6. Andreas Otto

    Andreas Otto Guest

    Tom Anderson wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 May 2009, Andreas Otto wrote:
    >
    >> Tom Anderson wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 12 May 2009, Andreas Otto wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> What is LibMsgque
    >>>> =================
    >>>>
    >>>> LibMsgque is an OS independent, Programming Language independent and
    >>>> Hardware independent solution to link applications together to act like
    >>>> a single application. Or with other words, LibMsgque is an
    >>>> Application-Server toolkit.
    >>>
    >>> So, did you find out about CORBA yet?

    >>
    >> nice to hear from you ...
    >> -> you are a CORBA fan ...

    >
    > I wouldn't say that! I think CORBA had gone out of fashion before i
    > started shaving ...
    >
    >> 2 major points again CORBA:
    >>
    >> 1. libmsgque does more than CORBA, I call it
    >> an application server toolkit ..
    >> if you read the docs than you'll find it out

    >
    > I had a bit of a read, and it looked like a small but useful CORBA subset
    > plus some interesting tools.
    >
    >> 2. the job, I earn my money with, is to take-over
    >> an "old" project (I call it so) and I convert it back to
    >> a "living" project -> most projects in the world are "old"
    >> projects started as "high technical project" and end as
    >> something that the people used to live with and not
    >> want to. One of my last projects, I turned into a
    >> "living" project, was a client/server app based on CORBA
    >> -> I don't want to annoy you with the glory details,
    >> but just the decision to use CORBA (an implementation
    >> of a well known software vendor) add an extra TCO
    >> (total cost of ownership) of 3 million euro payed
    >> by the customers -> they don't want to use CORBA anymore
    >>
    >> -> this is, in fact, the only reason which count

    >
    > Wow. That's a striking story. Could you share some of the gory details?
    > What were the problems with CORBA?
    >
    > From what i know of the field, the real sticking point has always been
    > interoperability: an ORB from vendor A won't work will with one from
    > vendor B, or vendor X's binding to language P doesn't work with vendor Y's
    > binding to Q, or something like that. Of course, with your library,
    > there's no interoperability problem because there's only one vendor, you,
    > but you can always (well, usually) single-source a CORBA solution, too.
    > And there have been enough big, serious projects done with CORBA that we
    > know it *can* be done.
    >
    > But clearly, your experience is that CORBA can go very badly wrong, so i'm
    > interested to learn why!
    >
    > tom
    >


    hi,

    you are good ... you got the points

    no interoperability special if more the one language, different hardware
    and different OS are involved ..

    you stick to a single vendor

    and if you have a growing environment...
    the vendor start to press money from you ...

    that is enough to tell...


    mfg

    Andreas Otto
    Andreas Otto, May 14, 2009
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andreas Otto

    ANNOUNCE: libmsgque 3.0

    Andreas Otto, Apr 10, 2009, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    273
    Andreas Otto
    Apr 10, 2009
  2. Andreas Otto
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    263
    Andreas Otto
    Sep 25, 2009
  3. Andreas Otto
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    315
    Andreas Otto
    Sep 25, 2009
  4. Andreas Otto
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    321
    Andreas Otto
    Sep 25, 2009
  5. Andreas Otto
    Replies:
    34
    Views:
    988
    Dave Searles
    Oct 7, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page