[Announce] Toast 1.0 released to the general public

Neal E. Coombes

{ Edits: manually reformatted text per request of the poster. -mod/aps }

Toast is a general purpose C++ library that is lightly inspired by Boost
and the Standard Library. It is where a handful of TradeLink's Software
Designers put their non-trading specific utilities. Generally all the
code must depend on nothing but Boost and the Standard Library.

Everything in this library is used in production real-time trading
software. That software is mostly on Solaris x86 machines and built
with gcc. Some is on Linux and some is built with Sun Studio. Although
I imagine most of the code is fairly portable as is, no attempt has yet
been made to make sure of this.

Toast is available at http://toast.sourceforge.net/ under the terms of
the new BSD license.

(NOTE: If you're going to the Astoria Seminar you'll get to criticize
the library to my face! So be sure to check it out!)

The library is split into sub-libraries. The most notable are:

* toast logging library

With a policy based design to satisfy just about any requirement.
This put an end to the proliferation of many logging solutions at
TradeLink. Some people wanted speed, others convenience;
toast::logger was made to be configurable for your needs.

* toast assertion library

With limited support for programming with contracts. In combination
with unit tests these can help greatly in the battle to write bullet
proof code.

* toast python library

Tightly integrated with Boost.Python, the toast python library adds
support for instantly wrapping containers and aiding callbacks from
C++.

* toast::type_info

An attempt at 'portable' type info. Portable is in quotes because
it is impossible to have portable type info in C++, but we're
portable across two compilers so far, and I imagine a few others
could be ported to as well.

For more see http://toast.sourceforge.net/

Thanks,

Neal E. Coombes