Announcing PyCs, a new Python-like language on .Net

Ville Vainio

Mark> X# seems like groundbreaking work to me. It reminds me of
Mark> the utility of regular expressions but for XML and SQL.

Yep, and Python doesn't need special syntax for regexps either.

Mark> Don't forget that reular expressions were in Perl first also
Mark> and they are used heavily in Python.

I imagine regexps have been around long before perl, though I might be
wrong. That aside, the regexps in the core language don't seem to
benefit the perl in any significant way - apart from pleasing newbies
who might live under the fallacy that having a feature "built right
in" makes the language superior for the task in question.

Michael Foord

Mark Hahn said:
This is an announcement of the beginning of development of a new
Python-like language called PyCs (pronounced "pie-cees"). Like IronPython,
PyCs will be Python on .Net but it will have more advanced features and
probably have higher performance due to a Psyco-like implementation
technique. See http://pycs.org.
[snip..]

Can I add my voice to the list of those saying that cProthon sounded
interesting.... and that PyCs doesn't sound useful... unless you can
get it to generate something *useful to the python community*.

Regards,

Fuzzy

gabriele renzi

PyCs DOES offer optional static type declarations and many other things
from "Python 3000". Check out the website.

would the CLR type system be what Guido want for python 3k ?
(I mean, the old interface or class thingy).
I guess python 3k should have some type system more on the lines of
lispish soft typing.

Anyway, wish you best luck

Roy Smith

Ville Vainio said:
I imagine regexps have been around long before perl, though I might be
wrong.

Regex's were around long before Perl. I first saw regex in about 1977
or so when I was learning Unix v6. They were used extensively in ed,
sed, grep, awk, and maybe a few other tools. Perl grew up sometime in
the 80's, in an attempt to unify all those tool (plus shell) into a
single language.

Terry Reedy

Roy Smith said:
Regex's were around long before Perl. I first saw regex in about 1977
or so when I was learning Unix v6. They were used extensively in ed,
sed, grep, awk, and maybe a few other tools. Perl grew up sometime in
the 80's, in an attempt to unify all those tool (plus shell) into a
single language.

Regexes were invented by Stephen Kleene in the context of formal languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Kleene
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expressions
I believe in the 1950s
The * operator once (and still is by some people) called the Kleene star.

Terry J. Reedy

Tim Peters

[David M. Wilson]
[Mark Hahn]
Tim Peters and Guido both disagree with you. They have both told
me to post here and keep the community informed of my work. They
consider Prothon a "sandbox" that Python can learn from.

This is true! Without mountains of backward compatibility
constraining you in all directions, you can try things that CPython
will likely never be able to try. You pick interesting things to try,
too, and Python 3000 stands to benefit from such experiments.

But you're not *required* to post here. If the general Python
community can't see value in fresh approaches (which is likely true of
all, um, "mature" language communities in-the-large), maybe sticking
to python-dev would cut some needless grief from your life.

Richie Hindle

[Tim]
If the general Python
community can't see value in fresh approaches (which is likely true of
all, um, "mature" language communities in-the-large), maybe sticking
to python-dev would cut some needless grief from your life.

As a very small part of "the general Python community", I'd like to
encourage Mark to continue his occasional posts to comp.lang.python. One
the good things about this newsgroup is that it sometimes wanders slightly
(!) off-topic, but those wanderings are usually illuminating. Mark's
projects are more on-topic than many other threads.