PSF News: Guido van Rossum quitting Python to develop new, more difficult to learn, language.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Pierre O'Dee, Apr 1, 2013.

  1. Pierre O'Dee

    Pierre O'Dee Guest

    PSF [Beaverton, OR] 1 April 2013 -- At a news conference held
    earlier today, Guido van Rossum announced that he is quitting
    Python to develop a new language.

    "Python just makes programming too damn easy and too bug-free,"
    Guido said as part of his remarks in a brief, prepared statement.
    He added, "The way things are going, soon, everyone in the world
    will be programming in Python -- even children!"

    Guido went on to say that he's now working on a new language
    called Giddy-up-and-Go which will take the worst features of C++,
    Java, and French combined with elements of both PHP and Klingon
    syntax. He said that this new endeavor should put the work and
    frustration back into programming "[where] it ought to be."
    Responding to a reporter's question in a brief Q&A following the
    announcement, Guido said, "Real programmers don't need no
    stinkin' easy and intuitive language to program with."

    Some features have already been hinted at for the new language.
    No Unicode -- BAUDOT is expected to be the new character
    encoding. Numeric types have been eliminated as it's no longer
    relevant or possible for most students and younger PhDs to do
    even simple arithmetic considering the current state of the
    so-called educational system. One surprising feature is that
    everything will be a subject using Guido's new subject-oriented
    programming (SOP) paradigm. Other sources said that variables
    (subjects in the new paradigm) will now be passed by gas.

    Python 3.3 will be the last version of Python. Look for
    announcements soon for the new Giddy-up-and-Go mailing lists.

    PSF will be selling its holdings to Oracle as they've embraced
    the open-source philosophy so freely and warmly. One insider
    shared unconfirmed rumors that Mr. Johnson will be attempting to
    revive and steer the now defunct Python language -- which
    elicited further concerns amongst the somewhat bewildered Python
    community.

    All newsgroups mentioning Python -- the full Monty -- will be
    closed today.

    --Pierre O'Dee, self-appointed spokesman for the PSF
    Pierre O'Dee, Apr 1, 2013

  2. Re: PSF News: Guido van Rossum quitting Python to develop new, moredifficult to learn, language.

    On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:30 AM, Pierre O'Dee <> wrote:
    > One insider
    > shared unconfirmed rumors that Mr. Johnson will be attempting to
    > revive and steer the now defunct Python language

    It's about time his untiring contributions to this list and the
    language were recognized.

    I fully support this move.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Apr 1, 2013

  3. Re: PSF News: Guido van Rossum quitting Python to develop new, moredifficult to learn, language.

    On 2013-04-01, Pierre O'Dee <> wrote:

    [...]

    It took me an embarassingly long time to 'get' Mr. O'Dee's name.

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I put aside my copy
    at of "BOWLING WORLD" and
    Grant Edwards, Apr 1, 2013
  4. Re: PSF News: Guido van Rossum quitting Python to develop new, moredifficult to learn, language.

    On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Grant Edwards <> wrote:
    > On 2013-04-01, Pierre O'Dee <> wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > It took me an embarassingly long time to 'get' Mr. O'Dee's name.

    I only just did now, after you pointed it out. Must be an accent
    thing, that's not really how I pronounce the word.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Apr 1, 2013
  5. Re: PSF News: Guido van Rossum quitting Python to develop new, moredifficult to learn, language.

    On 2013-04-01, Pierre O'Dee <> wrote:
    Guido went on to say that he's now working on a new language
    called Giddy-up-and-Go which will take the worst features of C++,
    Java, and French combined with elements of both PHP and Klingon
    syntax.
    [...]
    We are all eagerly waitin' for the new GuG (or GuGO?) language!
    Is it on github?
    regards
    woiski
    Emanuel Woiski, Apr 1, 2013
  6. Pierre O'Dee

    Ethan Furman Guest

    On 04/01/2013 10:21 AM, Emanuel Woiski wrote:
    > On 2013-04-01, Pierre O'Dee <> wrote:
    > Guido went on to say that he's now working on a new language
    > called Giddy-up-and-Go which will take the worst features of C++,
    > Java, and French combined with elements of both PHP and Klingon
    > syntax.
    > [...]
    > We are all eagerly waitin' for the new GuG (or GuGO?) language!

    I think the 'U' is silent, making it GAG.

    --
    ~Ethan~
    Ethan Furman, Apr 1, 2013
  7. Re: PSF News: Guido van Rossum quitting Python to develop new, moredifficult to learn, language.

    On 01/04/2013 16:30, Pierre O'Dee wrote:

    > Some features have already been hinted at for the new language.
    > No Unicode -- BAUDOT is expected to be the new character
    > encoding.
    >
    > --Pierre O'Dee, self-appointed spokesman for the PSF

    This is excellent news, no unicode means no chance of any performance
    regressions whilst implementing stupid things like memory savings and
    correctness.

    One question, why use a character encoding that's named after a very
    famous French actress?

    --
    If you're using GoogleCrap™ please read this
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython.

    Mark Lawrence
    Mark Lawrence, Apr 1, 2013
  8. Re: PSF News: Guido van Rossum quitting Python to develop new,more difficult to learn, language.

    It's in recognition of the gap between English and French - it helps you to bridge it.

    Steve Simmons, Apr 1, 2013
  9. Pierre O'Dee

    John Ladasky Guest

    On Monday, April 1, 2013 8:30:56 AM UTC-7, Pierre O'Dee wrote:

    > Guido went on to say that he's now working on a new language
    > called Giddy-up-and-Go which will take the worst features of C++,
    > Java, and French combined with elements of both PHP and Klingon
    > syntax. He said that this new endeavor should put the work and
    > frustration back into programming "[where] it ought to be."

    In other news, the famed University of Milan computer science professor Aprille Pazzo announced that she would be joining the Giddy-up-and-Go development team.
    John Ladasky, Apr 1, 2013
  10. Pierre O'Dee

    llanitedave Guest

    Re: PSF News: Guido van Rossum quitting Python to develop new, moredifficult to learn, language.

    Another detail about the new language: the Btrees used in Python's persistent object data structures have been replaced by...

    A SHRUBBERY!
    llanitedave, Apr 1, 2013
  11. Pierre O'Dee

    Tim Daneliuk Guest

    On 04/01/2013 10:30 AM, Pierre O'Dee wrote:
    > PSF [Beaverton, OR] 1 April 2013 -- At a news conference held

    Amazing that this should show up when it did. Just today, we
    had Board Meeting at the intergalactic HQ of TundraWare Inc.
    and finally decided to move forward with this project we'd
    announced some time ago:

    http://compgroups.net/comp.lang.python/ann-yapdl/1638348

    We would be pleased to cooperate with you in this new venture,
    especially insofar as we too believe there is simply not
    enough French linguistic construct in the modern programming
    languages.

    Merci,
    Bon Chance,
    A la bouffe,
    Tim Daneliuk
    Tim Daneliuk, Apr 1, 2013
  12. Pierre O'Dee

    Tim Daneliuk Guest

    On 04/01/2013 01:32 PM, llanitedave wrote:
    > Another detail about the new language: the Btrees used in Python's persistent object data structures have been replaced by...
    >
    > A SHRUBBERY!

    I believe you mean "A 'oly shrubbery", do you not?

    Tim Daneliuk
    Tim Daneliuk, Apr 1, 2013
  13. Pierre O'Dee

    llanitedave Guest

    On Monday, April 1, 2013 12:59:04 PM UTC-7, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
    > On 04/01/2013 01:32 PM, llanitedave wrote:
    >
    > > Another detail about the new language: the Btrees used in Python's persistent object data structures have been replaced by...

    > > A SHRUBBERY!

    > I believe you mean "A 'oly shrubbery", do you not?

    > Tim Daneliuk

    Ni!
    llanitedave, Apr 1, 2013