    We have an ASPX (C#) webform which hosts dropdownlists, textboxes, grids,
    checkboxes, etc.
    The users want to:

    #1 - "FREEZE" the entire webpage contents (and state)
    #2 - move IE browser to another URL (possibly several URLs ... maybe
    even terminate the session and restart another session an hour+ later)
    #3 - but eventually to return to the original FROZEN page
    #4 - and .... shazam .... everything is exactly like they left it

    I know I could write code to save the contents and state of each control
    into the database ONE CONTROL AT A TIME. Then reconstitute the form later ONE
    CONTROL AT A TIME. But that would be SOOOOOO much work.

    Does anyone know a COOL way to capture

    #1 - an entire webpage and state in a serializable form
    #2 - save the capture to a database file
    #3 - reconstitute the entire saved page later

    Thanks - Volking

    P.S. this entire operation happens in an HTTPS environment where users are
    authenticated against Active Directory. So security is ok.

    --
    Frederick Volking
    System Architect
    FlashMerlot, Aug 23, 2005

  2. FlashMerlot

    Evertjan. Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?Rmxhc2hNZXJsb3Q=?= wrote on 23 aug 2005 in
    > We have an ASPX (C#) webform which hosts dropdownlists, textboxes,
    > grids, checkboxes, etc.

    This is a classic ASP NG.

    For ASP.NET please ask in a dot.net NG

    > Does anyone know a COOL way to capture

    Perhaps it is the big pond interfering,
    but what the heck is "a COOL way"?
    Something to do with processor temperature?

    ;-))

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Aug 23, 2005

  3. This is not an ASP.NET question, but yes it can be done.

    My first try, if you use it, is to grab the entire viewstate as name value
    pairs and persist it as a chunk. You can then match controls to saved state
    and shazam. If you are not using ViewState, you can still iterate through the
    controls, but realize that with either, a person changing state and closing
    the browser without saving will end up with a page in flux.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP, Aug 23, 2005