Any Good Books on Building controls

GaryB

I just bought a book entitled "Developing Microsoft asp.net server controls
and components." It shows how to build controls using C#, with code
embedded in aspx pages instead of code behind, using the SDK instead of
Visual Studio. I don't think anyone really develops code that way.

Are there any books that show how to do this in an environmnt that we would
really use? Using Visual Studio, code-behind, and in my case VB?
Thanks,

Paul Ingles

Gary,

I've only really seen that book, and have looked through it on various
occasions to understand more about databinding, templating etc. From what I
read it actually seemed pretty good.

The code samples may well have used code embedded in the ASPX pages but
that's not really the focus of the book -- putting the code in one place
makes it easier to read, it's easy to see how you would wire the code to use
code-behind instead. Server controls will more often than not get put in
separate class libraries and then referenced by web projects, the use of
code-behind is a web-project issue rather than a control one.

Likewise with the SDK, not everybody will be using Visual Studio so using
standard tools makes sense, and again, the aim of the book ought to be on
showing how the underlying ASP.NET and .NET plumbing enables you to
accomplish certain things, in which case, a book showing you how to add
classes to a project etc. would be a little worthless.

With regards to VB, I don't know but I have seen times where people have
produced both VB and C# versions of books, there may be another edition that
includes VB code. However, it ought to be relatively easy to read the C# and
convert it to VB.

Paul

Griff

There is a post initiated by me in the newsgroup "aspnet.webcontrols" called
"Books" (13-Oct) which may be of some help.

Griff

admin