Anyone to convert a Windows Java app to Mac?

Fenton

I was sent a tiny program that encrypts files using the SEAL algorithm. The
problem is that the darned thing is Windows only. Cranking up Windows for
five minutes to encrypt a file is silly -- so I thought I'd see if I could
get this thing converted to a Mac version.

I don't know anything about Java. I opened the file using JarInspector and
took at look at manifests ... and that was was far as I got.

So... anyone want to mess with this? There are three jar files and no class
files.

Or, if there is more appropriate group to ask this in, let me know.

Sherman Pendley

Fenton said:
I was sent a tiny program that encrypts files using the SEAL algorithm. The
problem is that the darned thing is Windows only. Cranking up Windows for
five minutes to encrypt a file is silly -- so I thought I'd see if I could
get this thing converted to a Mac version.

I don't know anything about Java. I opened the file using JarInspector and
took at look at manifests ... and that was was far as I got.

Were you sent a .jar file? If so, have you tried just running it
directly by double-clicking it in Finder? The Mac Finder knows about
jar files, so if the program is pure Java with no platform-specific
code, and if it's using a version of Java your Mac supports, it should
Just Work.

sherm--

Fenton

I guess the first question is: what happens when you try to run the
program on the Mac? If it is in fact tied to Windows somehow, then some
error must occur when you run it on a non-Windows OS. What is that error?

In a folder called 'dist' there is a single jar file, SEAL.jar. When
launched, the application name appears in the main menu spot where app names
typically appear. Clicking 'About' yields a small windows that contains an
icon and the word "java". And that's it. The application appears to be the
interface, as the app name is gov.cdc.ct.SealGui

By the way I was completely wrong about the number of jar files. Turns out
there are 17.

Funny thing is that SEAL has been around since 1993, and I can't find a
darned thing on the Web on the subject of any Mac application that will
encrypt.

Umm, I think I don't want to pay for this. I mean, I just crank up Windows
for a minute and I'm done anyway, so getting a Mac version really doesn't
have any value other than convenience. Well, actually, there is one...

When I started this project I was given access to a secure server for
exchanging data. I was told it would would on Windows only. I asked their
support if they had a Mac version in the works, and they said no, and it will
not work and will never work.

Well, I go it to work. And I'd love to shove this Java app in their face and
say yeah, and I got this to work on a Mac, too, you government asses. But
beyond that there is really no value.

Maybe I'll go hunting on a cryptographic newsgroup -- perhaps there is a Mac
solution already out there I just have not found through Google.

[...]

See other post in this thread. Thanks.

Jeff Higgins

Fenton said:
Well, I go it to work. And I'd love to shove this Java app in their face and
say yeah, and *I* got this to work on a Mac, too, you government asses. But meaning you?
beyond that there is really no value.
Let us know when it comes out on YouTube, will ya?

Mark Space

Fenton said:
Umm, I think I don't want to pay for this. I mean, I just crank up Windows
for a minute and I'm done anyway, so getting a Mac version really doesn't

Unfortunately, cryptography problems tend to be gnarly enough that "free
labor" isn't an option. You can endeavour to learn Java yourself, I
guess. It's not really that hard.

But for someone else to get involved with something that requires 17 jar
files... nope sorry.

Jeff Higgins

Fenton said:
Good sleuthing. I had to sign off on it. What about it?

Your're asking here in a public forum for
someone to hack a licensed software product.

Fenton

Your're asking here in a public forum for
someone to hack a licensed software product.

1. The federal government doesn't copyright anything.
2. The entire package includes several license terms. (A) the standard Java 2
Runtime license; J2 is included just in case the use doesn't have it. (B) A
redistribution license from CoolServelets.com, where you must include notices
about Apache and others;