AOL Browser problems with javascript

HPCon

I have developed a website for a friend who uses the AOL Browser.

The site works fine on Internet Explorer but as soon as he browses it
via the AOL browser version 9.0 the line:

var timer=setTimeout("parent.main.changeLinks('"+typeVar+"')", 500);

seems to fail.
No error message is received.

The changeLinks function updates the links array for the page to open
a new window which shows a picture of the product, simple javascript
call.
e.g. d.links.href = "javascript:DisplayImg(\'xxx.jpg\')";

I have noticed that they are using IE 5.5 and this is displayed as the
browser and version through AOL, so I am trying to get them to update
to IE6 and hoping it cures the problem. However they are worried about
their customers who also use AOL or IE 5.5 or below

the website is http://www.heathcoteaudio.co.uk

any ideas what the problem could be???

Richard Cornford

Robert wrote:
For developing an Internet application, it is best to do your
development work in a gekco based browser like Firefox. Why?
Firefox implements only the W3C standards.

Stating that Firefox (or any Gecko browser) implements *only* the W3C
standards would be completely untrue. In addition to the W3C DOM
standards, Gecko browsers implement numerous Microsoft DOM features
(innerHTML, offset/clientWidth/Height, etc) and probably (numerically)
more Mozilla proprietary features even than Microsoft managed to stuff
into Windows IE. Try, for example, enumerating the properties under -
window.Components.interfaces - and see how many of the 150-odd object
references returned can be found in a W3C standard.

I don't think there is a single browser that implements only the W3C
standards (NetFront probably comes closest). And a browser that did
probably wouldn't be that useful to script (beyond the relatively
trivial).

Firefox provides a javascript console
for error message, a debugger, a DOM viewer, etc.
<snip>

That is probably a much better reason for using Firefox for development.
Though it is not the only W3C standard browser with a accurate/useful
error reporting mechanism build in.

Richard.