    months (over 6 months). Like I said it is an applet menu that I copied and
    pasted into the code. It looks nice, but I'm starting to wonder if google's
    spider can not navigate it. Is that a possibility with an applet type menu?

    NewsGuy, Mar 13, 2005

  2. NewsGuy wrote:

    > It looks nice, but I'm starting to wonder if google's spider can not
    > navigate it. Is that a possibility with an applet type menu?

    Yes, processing a Java applet to try to work out what it does and if it
    links to any URLs would be a _very_ expensive operation. If it isn't HTML,
    then Google won't read links in it.

    (For that matter, Java support in general is poor enough that I wouldn't be
    happy about the proportion of the audience that using such a menu would cut
    out).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Mar 13, 2005

  3. David Dorward wrote:
    >>It looks nice, but I'm starting to wonder if google's spider can not
    >>navigate it. Is that a possibility with an applet type menu?

    > Yes, processing a Java applet to try to work out what it does and if it
    > links to any URLs would be a _very_ expensive operation. If it isn't HTML,
    > then Google won't read links in it.

    I thought google was now able to "spider" Flash in addition to html. Is
    it just key words and not links? (or am I mistaken?)

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Mar 13, 2005
  4. Travis Newbury wrote:

    > I thought google was now able to "spider" Flash in addition to html.

    Last I heard there was a search engine which spidered Flash, but not Google.
    I could be wrong about that.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Mar 13, 2005
  5. NewsGuy

    Toby Inkster Guest

    David Dorward wrote:

    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    >> I thought google was now able to "spider" Flash in addition to html.

    > Last I heard there was a search engine which spidered Flash, but not
    > Google. I could be wrong about that.

    Google does index Flash now, but can't follow embedded links.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Mar 13, 2005
  6. Toby Inkster wrote:
    >>>I thought google was now able to "spider" Flash in addition to html.

    >>Last I heard there was a search engine which spidered Flash, but not
    >>Google. I could be wrong about that.

    > Google does index Flash now, but can't follow embedded links.

    Thanks all.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Mar 13, 2005
  7. Newsguy,

    If you're 100% devoted to the notion of keeping that java applet, an
    easy work-around
    that would please Google (and the other search engines) would be:

    a. include a sitemap with text links to each page of your site
    b. include alternative text link navigation at the bottom of each page
    -- if done in a smaller
    font size (i.e. size 2, 10 or 11px, etc...) it's relatively unobtrusive.

    Cheers!

    Cynthia T.

    NewsGuy wrote:

    >I have an applet menu in one of my sites. Every page has the same menu near
    >the top for navigation. I am starting to get a higher ranking for the main
    >page and a couple other pages of the site for some keywords in google (now
    >that I understand better the importance of putting keywords near top of
    >page). However google has never indexed all 11 pages linked from the top of
    >my home page. The home page and a couple others have been indexed for many
    >months (over 6 months). Like I said it is an applet menu that I copied and
    >pasted into the code. It looks nice, but I'm starting to wonder if google's
    >spider can not navigate it. Is that a possibility with an applet type menu?

    --
    DigitalRainmakers.com - Search Engine Optimization & Web Design
    FREE Search Engine Optimization Advice -- Post your SEO question

    Cynthia Turcotte, Mar 19, 2005
  8. Cynthia Turcotte wrote:

    Please don't top post. http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

    > -- if done in a smaller
    > font size (i.e. size 2,

    The font element (and its associated size attribute) is deprecated and
    should not be used.

    > 10 or 11px, etc...)

    Font sizes specified in pixels are considered harmful.
    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=FontSize

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Mar 23, 2005