    know much about Python yet, but would start picking it up if it could
    fit the bill...

    , Dec 29, 2005

    You might look at http://www.awaretek.com/pymo.html which shows links
    to Python versions for both PALM and Win CE as well as Sharp Zaurus and
    other mobile platforms; however, the only mobile platform I have
    personally used python on is the Zaurus, which works very smoothly, not
    problems at all.

    Good luck.

    , Dec 29, 2005

  3. Fuzzyman Guest

    I *think* that Python for the Palm platform is stalled a bit (Pippy).

    PythonCE is alive and well. Tkinter works quite well as a GUI front end
    - but you have to work quite hard to build a usable GUI on a PocketPC
    screen.

    For a list of resources see http://www.traybor.com/PythonCE/

    Luke Dunstan has *just* ported CTypes to the Windows Mobile platform
    (and I think there is already a win32gui module anyway). This means it
    ought to be possible to create a GUI using the native win32 widgets.

    The latest version of Python on the windows CE platform is 2.3.4 -
    although there are rumblings of a 2.4.2 port.

    All the best,

    Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman, Dec 30, 2005
  4. from your story, it seems that your apps has client and application
    server separated by XMLRPC, which requires network connection all the
    time. Then based on this assumption, IMHO, the simplest way to port to
    PDA would be via web browser, which available natively on every PDA, and
    thus very easy to deploy.

    Otherwise, currently to run client application on windows mobile/CE for
    real-world commercial deployment, I couldn't find the best way other
    than to build it via whatever language/SDK that's native in that
    platform. Which almost always in C/C++.

    For python on PDA, I have only the chance to try on Linux Familiar on
    Windows PPC 2003. Which require flashing the OS inside and have to cope
    with long start-up time. It also lacks the libraries available on normal
    platform (for me, wxPython) forcing me to use GTK, and the performance
    wasn't really snappy which is understandable since the cpu is also
    slower. But for simple apps, might be fast enough.

    Dody Suria Wijaya, Dec 30, 2005
  5. Neil Benn Guest

    wrote:

    >I have a CRM application that I've written in Ruby that currently runs
    >on Win32 clients as well as Linux ARM clients (Sharp Zaurus PDA's). The
    >application uses Qt for its GUI presentation and XMLRPC calls to
    >push/pull contact data back and forth. It suits my purposes, but I am
    >looking to port it to other platforms, such as Windows Mobile and Palm
    >OS PDA's.
    >
    >Getting Ruby compiled for the Palm OS is out of the question, and
    >getting Ruby to compile for Windows Mobile has hit many roadblocks. I
    >have tried looking at some Smalltalk implementations to accomplish
    >this, as I am willing to recode my app in another OO language if I can
    >definitely port it over to Windows Mobile and Palm OS. But even the
    >Smalltalk scenario would force me to recode the Smalltalk source itself
    >since one implementation wouldn't port between both platforms.
    >
    >How about Python? Could I code the application once in Python and then
    >port it to both PDA platforms easily? Or is this a pipe dream? I don't
    >know much about Python yet, but would start picking it up if it could
    >fit the bill...

    Hello,

    I know that this isn't a fashionable thing to write on a
    dynamic language newsgroup but I would really recommend switching to
    Java for your work if you are looking at recoding it. I'm running Java
    on handhelds and it works well. If you want to use dynamic languages
    then you can use Jytjon, there is an unofficial port of Jython for
    Personal Profile - I'm not sure how robust it is but you could take a
    look at that.

    Cheers,

    Neil

    --

    Neil Benn
    Senior Automation Engineer

    Tel : +49 (0)351 4173 154
    e-mail :

    Neil Benn, Dec 30, 2005

    Neil Benn wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I know that this isn't a fashionable thing to write on a
    > dynamic language newsgroup but I would really recommend switching to
    > Java for your work if you are looking at recoding it. I'm running Java
    > on handhelds and it works well. If you want to use dynamic languages
    > then you can use Jytjon, there is an unofficial port of Jython for
    > Personal Profile - I'm not sure how robust it is but you could take a
    > look at that.
    >

    > Cheers,
    >

    > Neil

    I was thinking this to myself as well, as Java should be available for
    most of these platforms. It's just that I don't really want to use Java
    unless I'm absolutely forced to :) Can't help it coming from scripting
    languages like Perl and Ruby, plus toying around in Smalltalk. I'm sure
    that Python would be useful to pick up too, if I have the time and
    effort. It seems as if the libraries available for Python are
    considerable compared to other languages. Everyone's responses are
    appreciated for sure in this thread.

    The web browser idea is a good one too, as my GUI isn't that
    sophisticated, and I could get away implementing it as a basic
    one-page-at-a-time web app. Just have to research how to pull off all
    of the XMLRPC calls from within the web page coding. Should be
    interesting how I can pull all of this off!

    , Dec 30, 2005
  7. Peter Hansen Guest

    wrote:
    > Neil Benn wrote:
    >> I know that this isn't a fashionable thing to write on a
    >>dynamic language newsgroup but I would really recommend switching to
    >>Java for your work if you are looking at recoding it.

    > I was thinking this to myself as well, as Java should be available for
    > most of these platforms. It's just that I don't really want to use Java
    > unless I'm absolutely forced to :) Can't help it coming from scripting
    > languages like Perl and Ruby, plus toying around in Smalltalk.

    Another option I've suggested in the past is to use Lua instead. It's
    certainly much closer to Perl/Ruby/Smalltalk/Python than any of them are
    to Java, and while I don't know whether it is supported on the specific
    platforms you want, it is widely supported including on the Palm. It
    also has the Palm OS support that all current versions of Python on the
    Palm are sorely lacking. (Look for Plua, most likely the most recent
    Plua2 beta...)

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Dec 30, 2005