    I think she didn't know what she was talking about but I just wanted to
    confirm with people.

    TIA - J.

    UJ, Jun 12, 2006

  2. Perhaps you should challenge this person to a race. But first, ask what they
    intend to use instead of tables!
    Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Jun 12, 2006

  3. With todays computers, you'd probably never notice -- but yes, it takes more processing power to render a table than it does a div or a span -- especially if the table cells do not use fixed widths.

    In general, unless you have an extremely complicated design with your tables, I wouldn't worry about it.

    --
    Greg Collins [Microsoft MVP]
    Visit Brain Trove ( http://www.BrainTrove.com )

    Greg Collins [Microsoft MVP], Jun 12, 2006
  4. UJ

    Gaijin Guest

    Tables are slow to render for two reasons.

    1) A table does not display until it i closed. Thats why you often see
    slow loading sites, where the site is blank, and then everything
    appears all at once, rather than coming in gradually. This is not an
    actual slow down, but an apparent slow down to the user, because they
    are used to seeing things come in gradually.

    2) Browsers display nested tables very slowly (relatively). If you have
    a table, inside a table, inside a table or something (particularly if
    you have a table with a large number of rows, where each row contains a
    child table). This is an efficiency issue within the browser. Older
    versions of netscape (4.7 ish) were VERY VERY slow with this. My work
    had a page that would load in 5 seconds in IE that took 2 minutes in
    Netscape due to nested tables. This has gotten better as time passed,
    however it still exists. currently, Firefox is slightly faster than IE
    at nested table rendering.

    In general, the industry has moevd away from using tables for layout,
    and you should probably use CSS to lay out your page now. However, for
    data that is tabular (the results of queries say) tables are the
    correct choice.

    Jason Coyne
    www.geekswithblogs.com/gaijin42

    Gaijin, Jun 13, 2006