    #includes, script directives, etc.??

    Thanks,

    Alan
    Alan Howard, May 7, 2004

  2. Alan Howard

    Steven Burn Guest

    Find a new host ;o)

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, May 7, 2004

  3. Alan Howard

    Alan Howard Guest

    I knew that was coming :p

    Alan Howard, May 7, 2004
  4. Server.Execute, maybe. But you'll have to re-think your architecture quite
    a bit.

    I agree with Steven... find a new host. I can't think of a good reason for
    a host to disable #includes, and I've never come across one that did so.

    (What happens, by the way, when you run an ASP page with an #include
    directive?)

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], May 7, 2004
  5. Alan Howard

    Alan Howard Guest

    Thanks Aaron. I'm still trying to find out why they have SSI disabled - they
    are one of the better hosts in NZ and this caught me completely by surprise.

    > (What happens, by the way, when you run an ASP page with an #include
    > directive?)

    The #include directives are ignored and are treated like any other HTML
    comment - i.e. they do nothing but are still viewable if you 'View Source'.

    Cheers,

    Alan

    Alan Howard, May 7, 2004
  6. > The #include directives are ignored and are treated like any other HTML
    > comment - i.e. they do nothing but are still viewable if you 'View
    > Source'.

    Yuck. Tell them to fix it or you'll move on.

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], May 7, 2004
  7. Alan Howard

    Alan Howard Guest

    Any thoughts on how they've turned SSI off? I had a quick look but couldn't
    see anything.

    Alan Howard, May 7, 2004
  8. > Any thoughts on how they've turned SSI off? I had a quick look but
    > couldn't
    > see anything.

    To be honest, I don't know. It sounds more like ASP isn't processing, as I
    know of no way to turn off the preprocessor that would catch the #include
    file directive(s). Are you sure the extension is ASP, and that other ASP
    code in the page is running? You can disable <!--#EXEC using the
    SSIExecDisable key in the metabase. But you can't disable <!--#include
    directives that I know of.

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], May 7, 2004
  9. Alan Howard

    Alan Howard Guest

    They've either 'turned SSI on' since I complained and asked for an
    explanation, or it was never off in the first place and I was just dealing
    with a misconfigured hosting account and a help-desk staffer that didn't
    know what they were talking about. In either case, #includes seem to be
    getting processed now so for the time-being, I'm happy.

    Alan Howard, May 7, 2004