ASP and MDB

wnlss

Hi was wondering if anyone could help we run a webserver with a few
ASP sites on it. The ASP is mainly use for updateable news boxes
e.t.c. where we connect to a MDB databse through ODBC, pull back the
data and display it on the page. 6 Weeks ago all ASP sites on the
server stopped responding but all the HTML pages still worked, after a
server reboot all the ASP pages started working again. After checking
the logs it looks like there were too many connections made to the
access databases which caused it to stop responding. This happend
again last week. I was wondering what the sort of limitations are on
number of connected users in this scenario, also what would be the
best method to increase this number. Puttting in a second server and
spliting the sites between them? or moving the databases to SQL? Would
the SQL option help or is it a problem with the number or ODBC
connections?

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

wnlss said:
[...]

Start here:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2195

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

e.t.c. where we connect to a MDB databse through ODBC,

Don't use ODBC.
http://www.aspfaq.com/2126

And if you can move DB platforms, don't use Access:
http://www.aspfaq.com/2195
server stopped responding but all the HTML pages still worked,
http://www.aspfaq.com/2147
http://www.aspfaq.com/2226

spliting the sites between them? or moving the databases to SQL?

SQL (even MSDE) will give you much higher scalability than Access, and is a
cheaper option - I would think - than adding a second web server.