ASP, IIS6 and the Buffer

Bryan Harrington

Hello.. not sure if this belongs in asp.general, but it's not really an IIS
issue.. so here goes.

I've got some large reports that I'm producing on IIS5 without any issue..
but becuase of their size I'm bumping into the IIS 6 buffer overflow issue.

I've gotten around some of it with Charles Carroll's buffer that output help
(http://www.learnasp.com/advice/whybuffer.asp), specifically by putting in

If counter MOD 200=0 THEN
response.flush
END IF

Which works just fine.. except since I'm using tables, I need to close the
table, response.flush, then open a new table which in turn leaves a small
gap between where the tables end and begin again.

I'm really just wondering if anyone has any ideas.. I'm just stumped.
Perhaps I need to walk away from it for the weekend... and come back.

I've thought about moving it all to a CSS based layout.. but tables are for
tabular data. The reports can be upwards of 10,000 rows long (yes, I know..
really not practical in a web browser, but the customer is always right..
and the boss is righter).

Your comments and thoughts are both welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in adavance.

Giles

Bryan Harrington said:
I've thought about moving it all to a CSS based layout.. but tables are
for
tabular data. The reports can be upwards of 10,000 rows long (yes, I
know..
really not practical in a web browser, but the customer is always right..
and the boss is righter).

Your comments and thoughts are both welcomed and appreciated.

Yes, many browsers wait for </table> before displaying anything. Apart from
writing </table> early, then using some pretty heavy client-side script to
fill it dynamically, I don't think you have a solution. ASP can't help, as
it is the client receipt of </table> that triggers everything.

CSS is the best answer, but IME the various different implementations of CSS
can make this an unenjoyable "challenge" too!

How about cutting your losses & making the "gap" a deliberate-looking
special feature, where about a page worth is displayed in each table, then a
new header with column name reminders appears for each scroll down?

Giles