ASP, IIS6 and the Buffer

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Bryan Harrington, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. Hello.. not sure if this belongs in asp.general, but it's not really an IIS
    issue.. so here goes.

    I've got some large reports that I'm producing on IIS5 without any issue..
    but becuase of their size I'm bumping into the IIS 6 buffer overflow issue.

    I've gotten around some of it with Charles Carroll's buffer that output help
    (http://www.learnasp.com/advice/whybuffer.asp), specifically by putting in

    If counter MOD 200=0 THEN
    response.flush
    END IF

    Which works just fine.. except since I'm using tables, I need to close the
    table, response.flush, then open a new table which in turn leaves a small
    gap between where the tables end and begin again.

    I'm really just wondering if anyone has any ideas.. I'm just stumped.
    Perhaps I need to walk away from it for the weekend... and come back.

    I've thought about moving it all to a CSS based layout.. but tables are for
    tabular data. The reports can be upwards of 10,000 rows long (yes, I know..
    really not practical in a web browser, but the customer is always right..
    and the boss is righter).

    Your comments and thoughts are both welcomed and appreciated.

    Thanks in adavance.
    Bryan Harrington, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Bryan Harrington

    Giles Guest

    "Bryan Harrington" <> wrote in message >
    > I've thought about moving it all to a CSS based layout.. but tables are
    > for
    > tabular data. The reports can be upwards of 10,000 rows long (yes, I
    > know..
    > really not practical in a web browser, but the customer is always right..
    > and the boss is righter).
    >
    > Your comments and thoughts are both welcomed and appreciated.

    Yes, many browsers wait for </table> before displaying anything. Apart from
    writing </table> early, then using some pretty heavy client-side script to
    fill it dynamically, I don't think you have a solution. ASP can't help, as
    it is the client receipt of </table> that triggers everything.

    CSS is the best answer, but IME the various different implementations of CSS
    can make this an unenjoyable "challenge" too!

    How about cutting your losses & making the "gap" a deliberate-looking
    special feature, where about a page worth is displayed in each table, then a
    new header with column name reminders appears for each scroll down?

    Giles
    Giles, Jun 13, 2005