ASP.NET 1.1 --> 2.0 VB.NET Conversion Woes

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Shawn B., Mar 9, 2006.

  1. Shawn B.

    Shawn B. Guest

    Greetings,

    Our company is migrating a very intense web application written in
    VB.NET/ASP.NET to 2.0. There are about 600 web pages and over 500,000 lines
    of code between all of the projects that are part of the solution. The non
    Web projects converted fine except for an insane amount of warnings.

    The Web project is a whole other story. For starters, the migration wizard
    simply fails to conver the project. After trying for the entire day
    yesterday and failing each time, then applying the wizard patch and getting
    even worse results, I decided to create a blank web project and just move my
    files into the project manually. Then I get hit with over 1000 problems.
    Many of which I've hand corrected but most of these are actually warnings
    that I don't know how to suppress. Simply stuff like XHTML schema
    violations cause the compile to fail. That's fine and all except we are
    XHTML compliant and it is unrealistic to expect us to make that change
    before we can even complete the migration.

    How do I change the schema?

    How do I change the "treat warnings as errors" option in a ASP.NET web
    project in VS 2005?

    Why does this have to be so complicated?

    Thanks,
    Shawn

    Shawn B., Mar 9, 2006

  2. Shawn,
    Your companies making it complicated reference the 1.1 dll in 2.0 app. Its
    that easy spend time learning new 2.0 controls and carefully migrate pages
    that would bennefit most by using them.

    =?Utf-8?B?RFdT?=, Mar 9, 2006

  3. Shawn B.

    Shawn B. Guest

    > Shawn,
    > Your companies making it complicated reference the 1.1 dll in 2.0 app.
    > Its
    > that easy spend time learning new 2.0 controls and carefully migrate pages
    > that would bennefit most by using them.

    Its not my decision. In any case, I figured out what to do. I'm hand
    correcting over 20,000 errors (since the wizard Visual Studio provides is
    100% useless) and almost complete (there's not an easy way to automate these
    correction, though many were find/replace, 16,000 aren't).

    Thanks,
    Shawn

    Shawn B., Mar 10, 2006