ASP.NET 1.1 --> 2.0 VB.NET Conversion Woes

Shawn B.

Greetings,

Our company is migrating a very intense web application written in
VB.NET/ASP.NET to 2.0. There are about 600 web pages and over 500,000 lines
of code between all of the projects that are part of the solution. The non
Web projects converted fine except for an insane amount of warnings.

The Web project is a whole other story. For starters, the migration wizard
simply fails to conver the project. After trying for the entire day
yesterday and failing each time, then applying the wizard patch and getting
even worse results, I decided to create a blank web project and just move my
files into the project manually. Then I get hit with over 1000 problems.
Many of which I've hand corrected but most of these are actually warnings
that I don't know how to suppress. Simply stuff like XHTML schema
violations cause the compile to fail. That's fine and all except we are
XHTML compliant and it is unrealistic to expect us to make that change
before we can even complete the migration.

How do I change the schema?

How do I change the "treat warnings as errors" option in a ASP.NET web
project in VS 2005?

Why does this have to be so complicated?

Thanks,
Shawn

Guest

Shawn,
Your companies making it complicated reference the 1.1 dll in 2.0 app. Its
that easy spend time learning new 2.0 controls and carefully migrate pages
that would bennefit most by using them.

Shawn B.

Shawn,
Your companies making it complicated reference the 1.1 dll in 2.0 app.
Its
that easy spend time learning new 2.0 controls and carefully migrate pages
that would bennefit most by using them.

Its not my decision. In any case, I figured out what to do. I'm hand
correcting over 20,000 errors (since the wizard Visual Studio provides is
100% useless) and almost complete (there's not an easy way to automate these
correction, though many were find/replace, 16,000 aren't).

Thanks,
Shawn