asp.net 2.0 gridview scrolling text in one column

Phil Johnson

Hi

I am pretty new to asp.net gridviews.

I need to get the text in one column to scroll, I have little screen space
and one column is normally empty, but is sometimes quite long.

Has anybody done this? Can I just put a Marquee into the column to acheive
this? if so, how do I do that?

Thanks

--
Regards,

Phillip Johnson (MCSD For .NET)
PJ Software Development
www.pjsoftwaredevelopment.com

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Phil,

Didn't understand what's your problem.
Could your please explain it detaily?

---
WBR,

PJ> Hi
PJ>
PJ> I am pretty new to asp.net gridviews.
PJ>
PJ> I need to get the text in one column to scroll, I have little screen
PJ> space and one column is normally empty, but is sometimes quite long.
PJ>
PJ> Has anybody done this? Can I just put a Marquee into the column to
PJ> acheive this? if so, how do I do that?
PJ>
PJ> Thanks
PJ>
PJ> Phillip Johnson (MCSD For .NET)
PJ> PJ Software Development
PJ> www.pjsoftwaredevelopment.co

Phil Johnson

Hi, I have a small resolution to work to.

One column in the grid is normally empty, but if it has text the text is
long, so I want the column to be narrow but to be able to see a string that
could be around 100 characters long if need be.

My first thoughts are if I could have this cell to scroll (automatically
with no user interaction) then that will keep the column narrow but allow the
whole text to be displayed. I know to have text scrolling automatically, you
can use the Marquee element control (or you could... its a while since I used
it so I will have to check its still around) but I'm unsure how to use that
inside a cell in a gridview.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Phillip Johnson (MCSD For .NET)
PJ Software Development
www.pjsoftwaredevelopment.com

Phil Johnson

Hi Eliyha,

Thanks for the response.

The site is to displayed on TV screens though with no human interaction so I
need the text to scroll automatically.

Will you suggestion do that, or would it just display scroll bars that a
user would then have to click to scroll?

Thanks,

--
Regards,

Phillip Johnson (MCSD For .NET)
PJ Software Development
www.pjsoftwaredevelopment.com

Eliyahu Goldin said:
You can make this column templated and put the text into an html div with
overflow-y:auto.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer