ASP.NET 2.0 - is there a new solution for simple Web form fields to database?

chadpaynter

A lot of the work I do in web development tends to be a set of web
forms allowing a user to apply for a product or service which has
usually resulted in me writing code behind to read the form field
values and then create business objects which are commited to the
DB.

In ASP.NET 2.0 i know there is a lot of improvements to make
databinding much simpler (and in the code-infront) however most of it
revolves around the gridview dealing with lots of records. Does
anyone have any example of using any of the new features in ASP.NET2.0
for doing simple form fields to DB? Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Alan Silver

A lot of the work I do in web development tends to be a set of web
forms allowing a user to apply for a product or service which has
usually resulted in me writing code behind to read the form field
values and then create business objects which are commited to the
DB.

In ASP.NET 2.0 i know there is a lot of improvements to make
databinding much simpler (and in the code-infront) however most of it
revolves around the gridview dealing with lots of records. Does
anyone have any example of using any of the new features in ASP.NET2.0
for doing simple form fields to DB? Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

I think the data sets might be what you want. Have a look on www.asp.net
for the data tutorials. They show you how do set up data sets, use them
to populate form fields and (more to the point for you) how to use them
to save data from a form to a db.

They are pretty easy to use, and allow you to do what you are asking
with basically zero coding.

HTH