ASP.NET 2.0 Session State Scope

Guest

I can't believe I've never noticed this. Is the Session object at the domain
level and not at the virtual folder level? I guess I have not done multi-app
development at the same time.

I am working on two ASP.NET 2.0 web apps that a user will bounce between. I
am running these in development on my Windows XP machine.

I am writing a value to each application's state. The variable name is the
same in both applications: Session["connectTime"].

I noticed that AppB was overwriting AppA's value. The URLs are
http://localhost/AppA and http://localhost/AppB.

As far as I can tell looking at machine.config and web.config session state
has not been modified so I believe I am using the defaults.

Thanks ahead for the confirmation!

Guest

Noremac said:
I can't believe I've never noticed this. Is the Session object at the domain
level and not at the virtual folder level?

Neither. It's at application level.
I guess I have not done multi-app
development at the same time.

I am working on two ASP.NET 2.0 web apps that a user will bounce between. I
am running these in development on my Windows XP machine.

I am writing a value to each application's state. The variable name is the
same in both applications: Session["connectTime"].

I noticed that AppB was overwriting AppA's value. The URLs are
http://localhost/AppA and http://localhost/AppB.

Then neither of the folders are applications. You have only one
application, and that is the web root folder.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Noremac,

I also think that your AppA and AppB might not have been correctly
configured as an application in IIS, you can verify this by open its
properties dialog in IIS Manager: on the "Virtual Directory" tab, if you
see the "Application name" field is disabled and the button at the
right-side of it shows "Create" instead of "Remote", then it's not an web
application.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Noremac,

I'm writing to check the status of this post. Please feel free to let me
know if there's anything else I can help. Thanks.