    references to an MSDN article, "Authoring ASP.NET Server Control Adapters -
    An Introduction", but the link,

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/ASPNET-AuthorSrvrCntrlAdapters.aspis dead.So, can anyone provide me with addtional information on how to obtain/createa safari.browser file and how to use the corresponding control adapters?Thanks in advance, Bill
    Bill Cohagan, Feb 12, 2006

  2. re:
    > can anyone provide me with addtional information on how to obtain/create a safari.browser file

    Check out : http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps/

    The code you need to add is at :

    http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps/browserCaps_spaces.txt

    If you want to use 2.0-only features, you could use
    that code to create a safari.browser file using that info.

    See : http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms228122.aspx

    You can also just modify your web.config's browsercaps element.

    Using the browserCaps element in the Web.config file to define
    browsers is deprecated in the .NET Framework 2.0 but still supported.

    The data in this element is merged with the information from the browser definition files.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Bill Cohagan

    Bill Cohagan Guest

    Juan
    Thanks for the info and pointers. Sadly I'm still unable to solve the
    problem. I've set up a browserCaps element as you (and the referenced
    documents) suggested. I've confirmed that it is being used as I've
    installed the browserCaps_spaces.txt code into my default.aspx page. So I
    can see what ASP.Net thinks the browser's capabilities are.

    So far so good. The problem is that the dynamic menus still do not work.
    If I look at the html in the response (to Safari) I see that there are no
    OnHover events wired up (for starters). I've tweaked the browserCaps to try
    to "trick" ASP.Net into rendering that code just to determine what
    capability is at fault. Thus far I've been unable to determine why (in terms
    of capabilities) ASP.Net fails to render the expected code.

    Any idea how to further troubleshoot this?

    Thanks again,
    Bill

    Bill Cohagan, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Bill Cohagan

    Bill Cohagan Guest

    Juan
    I've downloaded/installed a FireFox browser on one of our test machines
    (miniMac) and it works fine with our ASP.Net 2.0 website, including the
    dynamic menus. I've eyeballed the capabilites and they look pretty much
    identical to those reported for Safari! So, now I'm really confused (unless
    MS just has something against Apple browsers!)

    I'm still interested in solving the problem of course, but the pressure is
    a little lower since we have a fallback solution with FireFox.

    Bill Cohagan, Feb 12, 2006
  5. re:
    > The problem is that the dynamic menus still do not work.

    No tweaking you do will allow Safari to understand HTML it can't understand.

    re:
    > The problem is that the dynamic menus still do not work. Thus far I've been unable to determine
    > why (in terms of capabilities) ASP.Net fails to render the expected code.

    What the change to browsercaps does is allow ASP.NET to send Safari
    HTML it should understand, but if Safari doesn't understand XHTML,
    then sending it XHTML will not automagically make Safari understand it.

    I am not too familiar with Safari's capabilities.
    Is it capable of understanding XHTML ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 12, 2006
  6. The only difference I see between Safari and Firefox is that
    Safari is based on the "AppleWebKit" while Firefox is not.

    The capabilities, otherwise, seem identical.

    This reinforces my earlier idea that the difference must
    be whether Safari is capable of understanding XHTML.

    If Firefox understands the dynamic menus ( XHTML-based, right ? )
    and Safari doesn't, I can't think of anything else to pin the rendering difference on.

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 12, 2006