    maybe one dll for each Web page in a directory (maybe still "bin") under
    Inetpub/wwwroot/mywebsite/

    Thanks.
    vwd2005eeb, Apr 27, 2005

  2. By default new web sites are now kept under your My Documents folder.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Apr 27, 2005

  3. Hi I have the same question/problem. I found the project files in the
    myDocument folder but still don't know where to look for the DLL files? Have
    you found the answer? Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxiZXJ0?=, May 31, 2005
  4. Hi, Albert and vwd2005eeb.

    Beta 2 has changed the compilation paradigm for assemblies.

    If you compile an assembly manually, from the command-line,
    you can place it in a /bin subdirectory, where it will be automatically
    recognized and you can just call the classes it contains, either from
    your aspx files or from other assemblies.

    All other source code compilations ( C#, VB.NET and J# ) will go into
    the App_Code directory ( which will be created for you when you create
    the new *.cs, *.vb or *.jsl code file ).

    Assemblies compiled from the source code files in the App_Code directory
    will be placed in the ASP.NET Temporary Files directory.

    By marking subdirectories of the App_Code directory as language-specific,
    and pointing to the folders in the <codeSubDirectories> element of the
    <compilation> section of web.config, you can now use multiple languages
    in your application.

    Please refer to the Beta 2 documentation for more information.

    Look up "App_Code Folder" in the indexed Help
    and follow the link to "Shared Code Folders in Web Sites".

    best regards,

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 31, 2005
  5. Hi Juan, thanks for your reply,

    1. I work in C#.(but thoes it matter)
    2. No App_Code folder is auto created
    3. I have Auto Created just App_Data and App_WebReferences (since my
    aplication uses web services)
    4. R u saying that I should somehow manualy edit the config file to point to
    assemblies?
    5. Yes I found the dll files in the c/.net temp folder but what am i suposed
    to do with them? I don think copying them will help
    6. I am reading on now and i think I should uninstall the vwd express and
    install the vwd 2005 beta 2? I am right.

    Thanks in advance

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxiZXJ0?=, May 31, 2005
  6. Hi, Albert.

    re:
    > 1. I work in C#.(but thoes it matter)

    No. It doesn't matter.

    If you only work in C#, every code file you place in App_Code
    will be automatically compiled with csc.exe.

    The Framework auto-senses the language the code file
    is written in, and calls the appropiate compiler.

    re:
    > 2. No App_Code folder is auto created

    The directory will be created by VS.NET 2005 Beta 2
    *when you create a new Class file*.

    From the main VS.NET menu : "File, New File" ( or Control + N )

    Look in the Visual Studio Templates for the Class file template.
    When you select it, you will be prompted to create the App_Code dir.

    re:
    > 4. R u saying that I should somehow manualy edit the config file to point to
    > assemblies?

    No.
    That reference was meant only if you want to use more than one programming
    language in your application.

    The assemblies will be placed in the ASP.NET Temporary Files directory
    and will be auto-referenced by both VS.NET and ASP.NET if you place your
    source files in the App_Code directory.

    re:
    > 5. Yes I found the dll files in the c/.net temp folder but what am i suposed
    > to do with them? I don think copying them will help

    You do nothing with them.

    All you do is place your code files in an App_Code directory on your server.
    They *will* be compiled by the .Net Framework Beta 2 installed at the server.

    re:
    > 6. I am reading on now and i think I should uninstall the vwd express and
    > install the vwd 2005 beta 2? I am right.

    vwd express and vwd express beta 2 are the same SKU,
    only that vwd express was the beta 1 version.

    Did you mean "uninstall Beta 1 and install Beta 2" ?

    If so, that would explain why you were not prompted to create
    the App_Code directory. That's a feature introduced in Beta 2.

    If that's the case, yes, uninstall Beta 1 and install Beta 2 ASAP.

    Friendly warning : you may need to wipe the Beta 1
    partition in order to get Beta 2 to install correctly.

    Sometimes uninstalling Beta 1 does not fully wipe it out.

    You may want to take a look at this link for further info:
    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/uninstall/

    And there's troubleshoting tips at :
    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/vsbeta2installissues/default.aspx

    There's a cleanup tool which might help you prevent
    wiping out the partition. Try it before formatting :
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=47065

    If it helps any, I had to format my partition ... ;-)

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 31, 2005
  7. I should have added that there's very specific information about where every
    single file is placed, after compilation, in the help index topic named "compile files".

    Once you install Beta 2, look it up.
    It will clear up all your doubts.

    It will also be good for you to look up "Precompilation" in the index.
    You'll get a good grasp of the options in that help topic.

    best regards,

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 31, 2005
  8. Hi Juan, thanks again for your help,

    1. I uninstalled the VWD express as u told me and installed the Visual
    Studio 2005 Beta 2. It really has many more features. Thanks

    2. I did this walkthrough:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/1y1404zt(en-us,vs.80).aspx

    3. Everything fine until I reached the end which says to open:
    http://localhost/CompiledSite/SamplePage.aspx

    4. But what i get in the browser is just:
    "This is a marker file generated by the precompilation tool, and should not
    be deleted!" instead of the actual page.

    5. How should the IIS know that it should use this empty page as a redirect
    to the compiled page in the bin folder (I am right)?

    6. Any way I got really frustrated with how complicated it is to put/deploy
    a simple .NET application on another server(since in classic ASP it was just
    an FTP process). So I consulted a person who recommended I don't precompile
    (since I have no security, performance or whatsoever requirements) but
    instead change the CodePage to Src:
    <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodePage="Default.aspx.cs"
    Inherits="_Default" %>
    <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" Src="Default.aspx.cs"
    Inherits="_Default" %>

    7. All fine but in case I don't use a class from the App_code folder or a
    webreference from the App_Webreference folder.

    In case of webreference i get this error:

    CS0246: The type or namespace name 'refCampaign' could not be found (are you
    missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

    Line 55: refCampaign.CampaignServiceService service = new
    refCampaign.CampaignServiceService();

    8. Do u have any idea on how I should refer the (or create in a different
    way) a web reference so it would work on remote server without precompiling?

    9. Finally my goal is simple - I just want to deploy a simple project which
    works on my localhost to another server.

    Thanks in advance,
    Albert

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxiZXJ0?=, Jun 1, 2005
  9. Shall I get back my Girlfriend now since i managed to publish the

    Hi, I've just ended my 3 day non-stop frustration. My girl friend nearly left
    me.

    I would recommend that Microsoft add a thing in the prerequisites which says
    to explicitly check if the virtual directory asp.net version is set to .net
    framework 2.0.

    What happened was I used the new Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 to do the
    publish-web site tutorial. The tutorial went fine until the end where I am
    supposed to run the precompiled project. Then I get - "This is a marker file
    generated by the precompilation tool, and should not be deleted!" instead of
    the sample page.

    I checked the IIS virtual dir, changed the ASP .NET version to 2.0.. and
    walla - all works fine. The thing is during my 3 day frustration I had FTP
    access to a dedicated server of a friend who ensured me he has .NET 2.0
    framework on his server and I still got the nasty sentence instead of the
    page. I was sure that deploying a .NET site to the web was an impossible task
    (or you have to run an installer) or required several years of .NET experience

    Any way Thanks again, I hope I get back my girlfriend now :)_
    Albert
    =?Utf-8?B?QWxiZXJ0?=, Jun 1, 2005
  10. Re: Shall I get back my Girlfriend now since i managed to publish the

    Hi Albert,

    A word of friendly advice: Beta software is, by definition, buggy. In other
    words, Microsoft will most certainly make every effort to make the RTM
    version of Visual Studio.Net 2005 bug-free. One of the ways they do so is by
    releasing beta (test) versions to the public, getting voluntary guinea pigs
    to find the bugs by using the software in all kinds of ways, on all kinds of
    systems, for all kinds of reasons.

    So, if you want to keep your girlfriend, and you don't feel any particular
    need to ride the bleeding edge, it might be a good idea to step back from it
    just a wee bit, and avoid the bleeding. Use Visual Studio.Net 2003, which is
    relatively reliable, until the RTM of VS.Net 2005 is released.

    I once vowed that I would never use beta software again, as a result of
    playing with NT5 beta 1 and 2, which eventually became Windows 2000. I
    learned a heck of a lot from the experience, out of necessity, but spent
    quite a long time recovering from the experience. Unfortunately, my current
    job is in the R&D field, and try as I may, I can't seem to avoid it. But
    every opportunity I get TO avoid using beta software, I take!

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

    Kevin Spencer, Jun 2, 2005
  11. Re: Shall I get back my Girlfriend now since i managed to publish

    Thanks Kevin, I really think I will take your advice and use 2003.

    Regards,
    Albert

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxiZXJ0?=, Jun 2, 2005