ASP.NET and COM+

tyler.lloyd

I have an ASP.NET web page that references a COM+ object. That COM+
object is written in VB.NET. That code contains many calls using
System.DirectoryServices. I'm running into some very strange errors
when the website is under load and have been reading that
DirectoryServices might not be thread safe? If its not what would be
the best way to safely achieve the above. I'm a little unsure of
using thread locking with a COM in this way (should it be on the
ASP.NET side or in the COM itself?), if anyone could give me some
guidance it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Tyler

Matt Dinovo

Are you using COM+ so you could change the context of the caller when making
DirectoryServices calls or is there another reason for using COM+? If this
is the case, you could use various methods of impersonation to make the
DirectoryServices calls directly from the ASP.NET application without
involving COM+.

Matt Dinovo

tyler.lloyd

Hi Matt, Thanks so much for the quick reply.
Yes changing the context is the main reason I'm using it however
DirectoryServices isn't the only call I'm making. There are also
calls into CDOEXM, ADSSecurity and ActiveDS. The web page is also
running under the context of the user connected (Integrated
authentication). So I'm very limited on my options.

Thanks
Tyler