Com+ and asp.net?

Dav

From what I know you can use com+ in asp.net via interop. If I convert
these com+ objects to .NET (VB.NET) do I still need MTS or does the
..NET framework handle the object pooling and other features of MTS? So,
instead of a bunch of COM+ objects on MTS that my asp.net can
reference, can I convert them to .NET DLLs and just keep them in the
bin folder?

Basically, if I convert my COM+ objects to .NET do I need MTS for a
high traffic site?

If you can post any thoughts, experiences or links, that would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

Joerg Jooss

Thus wrote Dav,
these com+ objects to .NET (VB.NET) do I still need MTS or does the
.NET framework handle the object pooling and other features of MTS?
So, instead of a bunch of COM+ objects on MTS that my asp.net can
reference, can I convert them to .NET DLLs and just keep them in the
bin folder?

Basically, if I convert my COM+ objects to .NET do I need MTS for a
high traffic site?

If you can post any thoughts, experiences or links, that would be
appreciated.

COM+ in .NET is exposed through Enterprise Services. This is not a pure Managed
Code replacement, just a .NET abstraction layer. You're components will still
be running using the COM+ runtime.

Cheers,

Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB]

Please do not crosspost questions between .NET and non-.NET groups. The
*.vb.* groups are for VB6 and earlier. .NET groups all have "dotnet" in
their names.

Guest

..NET doesn't substitute COM+, it's only expose COM+ functionality in
EnterpriseServices namespace.
You don't need to convert existed COM+ components.
The base services of MTS moved together with the COM functionality into COM+
base services (from Win2k).

ASP.net uses COM+ via webservices (call it interop)

--
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Bruce Barker

in general you do not need MTS if using native .net objects.

with .net objects you should only pay the MTS overhead if you need a MTS
feature.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Li-fan Chen

Hi Dav,

You may wish to look into MSMQ helps handle large bursts of web traffic as
long as immediate answers and actions aren't required. And do please
consider MTS for application-level transactions, MTS can help prevent a
disconnect between what you promise in the forms and what actually happens
in the backend. COM+ bundles both and they are exposed using
EnterpriseServices namespace in .NET Framework. These services come free
with most if not all modern Microsoft OSes.

Best personal regards,
-- Li-fan