    Does ASP.NET have the same feature of PHP as in can I reupload an ASPX
    file and it becomes 'live' with all the new changes?

    Do I also need to reupload the site DLL each time I make a code change?
    Sir Psycho, Aug 16, 2007

  2. "Sir Psycho" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does ASP.NET have the same feature of PHP as in can I reupload an ASPX
    > file and it becomes 'live' with all the new changes?

    Yes, depending on how you publish.

    > Do I also need to reupload the site DLL each time I make a code change?

    No, if you use the model that I said YES on earlier

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    | Think outside the box! |
    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Aug 16, 2007

  3. Sir Psycho

    Sir Psycho Guest

    and what model is that? :)

    Sir Psycho, Aug 16, 2007
  4. Yes and no
    You can reupload up to 15 times aspx page (configurable) then application
    restarts (meaning you will loose all Sessions)
    I believe if you reupload CS or VB files application restarts immediately.

    So do all your coding in ASPX file.

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Aug 16, 2007
  5. Hi,
    how do you deploy your web application? Are you using simple XCopy or
    precompilation? If you are using XCopy you can do any change to as*x files
    and corresponding code behind files and just upload them to server.
    Precompilation allows you to compile whole application to dlls so if you want
    to make any change you have to precompile and deploy whole application again.
    There is also mixed mode where code is precompiled and as*x files are still
    updatable - you can control this by parameter for aspnet precompiler or by
    check box in Visual Studio publish web application functionality.

    Regards,
    Ladislav

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFkaXNsYXYgTXJua2E=?=, Aug 17, 2007
  6. Sir Psycho

    Sir Psycho Guest

    I guess I'd like to upload bug fixes to my site without kicking
    everyone off their sessions which is something php allows you to do.

    Isnt doing all coding in ASPX really bad? I thought having code behind
    in separate files helps with separation

    can someone also give me a resource on how to configure visual studio/
    IIS to allow me to upload changes without restarting the web app

    thank you

    Sir Psycho, Aug 21, 2007
  7. Take a look at DotNetNuke You can use it or use same idea.
    It's a content management system when content is in DB. Then application
    will not restart.

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Aug 21, 2007