ASP.net first load slow

Guest

Hi

I apologise if this question has been asked many times but I have not found
any sufficient answers anywhere.

I have a asp.net website which is a fairly small site (5 pages) which
doesn't get that much traffic. I have noticed that when the site loads for
the first time - it takes sometimes up to 5 seconds for it load. After which,
it is very quick.

I realise that this is because the site is being compiled for the first time
- but is there any solution so that the user does not have to wait so long
the first time? I feel that some people may not wish to wait this 5 secs. Can
you also tell me how long a site, once it has been compiled - stays in its
compiled state? What is the timeout period, in which it loads quickly - and
then loads slower (because it has to be compiled again)?

If there is no easy solution, is it a general rule that for small sites,
with not that much traffic - that they should be built using ASP rather than
ASP.net?

Thanks in advance
Dan Rostron.

Hans Kesting

[...]

The choice between ASP and ASP.Net is more a technology choice: "what
do I *need*?". ASP.Net has much more built-in functionality.

For your site you could start with a plain html page as entrance-point.
This doesn't need to precompile. Show some "welcome to my site" text
and use a <meta http-equiv=refresh content="1;URL=default.aspx"> in the
header to redirect to your asp.net startpage in 1 second (which could
end up as 6 seconds because of the precompile). Use (at least) 1
second, so that the page *does* show (I have a feeling that if you use
a 0 second delay, the browser might ignore the contents and redirect
immediately).

Hans Kesting