ASP.Net Membership & Roles Using MySQL- Basics Needed.

DanWeaver

I am trying to use a MySQL db hosted on a shared server as an ASP.NET
Membership Provider and .net framework 3.5 (visual studio 2008)
I am new to a lot of this and have found the following websites which
offer some degree of help but by no means a complete solution or
uncomplicated explanation of whats involved:

1) http://blog.nolanbailey.com/2008/03/08/mysql-aspnet-membership-and-role-provider/194
Very good but not complete enough for my level eg:
"<add name="MySQLMembershipProvider" autogenerateschema="true" ...."

2)
http://aspnet101.com/aspnet101/tutorials.aspx?id=63
Looks initially promising and the kind of solution simplicity I would
expect in reality but...
the first stage of the proceeedings doesnt work out for me on my vista
machine....
c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework>aspnet_regsql -W
'aspnet_regsql' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

3)
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/datab...ise=3&sort=Position&view=Quick&select=2476367
Many credible sources point to this page but running MySQL
Administrator and trying to execute the sql to alter tables I run into
syntax errors the origins of which I dont yet understand.

4) http://www.dotnetsurfers.com/Blog/2007/12/12/UsingMySQLWithAspnetForAuthenticationauthorization.aspx
Not sufficiently detailed.

Can anyone point me to a reasonable set of instructions to SETUP ASP
MEMBERSHIP AND ROLES ON A MySQL db on a SHARED REMOTE SERVER, USING
Visual Studio 2008 and its Login, New Member etc wizards and
templates?

I would really appreciate any help.

Dan - posted also to comp.MySQL

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I would look up Custom Membership Provider. You will have to create one to
use MySQL instead of a supported database.

DanWeaver

A few hard hours later and I am very frustrated- there seems to be
very little support for MySQL regarding this seemingly basicish task-
is it the case that to use MySQL in this scenario you have to be a
hardcore ASP/SQL/general programmer? I cannot find a single video that
illustrates anything like this concept nor any straigtforward,
complete, relatively up to date guidelines. From an outsiders point of
view it seems like the guys at MySQL have done all the hard work
designing the right stuff- but insufficient support exists to
encourage MySQLs use in this manner.
I want to manage users and roles and get some information such as age
group on a shared server preferably using MySQL. I have now lost 2
days looking in vain through very technical and complicated half-
descriptions of how to build an operating system on a spacestation
from scratch- I am only trying to build a hello world roles and
membership on a shared MySQL server, its like reading Microsoft help
files... Is it really that hard?

DanWeaver

Later still and...

I believe a few steps are necessary and Im not sure of the order or
exactly how to go about them:

A) Create the DB schema on a (shared host) MySQL db... Does anybody
have the SQL already made?

B) Set up the asp project to have a reference to the correct provider
ie do something in web.config relating to <providers> and <connection
string>...

C) Change the ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool to 'know' that
we're now using a remote provider...

D) Any other mystical steps involving importing namespaces etc...

Any takers?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

First a google search yields:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/mysqlmembershipprovider.aspx

This should solve most of your needs. It has both the scripts to create the
database and the custom membership provider. This is an "out of box"
implementation, meaning it mimics the standard ASP.NET implementation.

Note that the article states you need the latest MySQL Connector:
http://www.mysql.com/products/connector/net/

There is a cost if this is a commercial site.

If this is not acceptable, thsi one might work:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/Suite_MySQL_Provider.aspx

And the MySQL forum has one as well:
http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?38,63403,63403

sloan

C) Change the ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool to 'know' that
we're now using a remote provider...

I believe the WSAT tool is only available locally.....I learnt this the hard
way.
Thus my opinion is that is is a hobbyist tool, and not worth the effort.

You probably don't want to hear this, but I'll give you the advice anyways.

Go here:
http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/printPage.aspx?path=/articles/010307-1.aspx

And take a hour or so ... and get the crappy Access Membership Provider
working.
Try not to just look at the code setup/config setup, but actually get it
working.

You'll learn the key items needed to swap out to a custom one.

Then approach the MySql version with that knowledge.
Once you get one working..the others seem easier.
I suggest the Access one becaue at least you have one that differs
signficantly from Sql Server...but is decently documented.

I did this (a year and half ago) and that little exercise still sits with
me....as I can swap out to a custom one quickly now.

This might help as well.
http://www.devx.com/asp/Article/29256/0/page/3

DanWeaver

Thanks very much Greg and Sloane,

Greg- the KB code project looks worth a shot- the MySQLcode is like
French to me!

Sloane- thanks for the sage and frank advice, Ill have a good look at
the 4guys.

Cheers,
Dan