ASP.NET Membership Services Question?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by artificer, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. artificer

    artificer Guest

    I want to create an Internet application that will be accessed by several
    pre-registered companies. All of those companies will be accessing the same
    database and the same application but each one of them will only access the
    records that belong to their company. Another complication is that not all
    user of a company will access all the forms or data of her company.

    For example let's suppose that the web application is call Web1 and will be
    accessed by Company1 and Company2. Web1 have 2 Web Forms WForm1 and WForm2.
    Company1 have two users User1 and User2. Company2 also have two users named
    User3 and User4.

    User1 and User3 will be able to open WForm1 and WFrom2 but users User2 and
    User4 only will access WForm1. WForm1 and WForm2 are forms containing
    updatable grids. They get their data from Table1 and Table2 respectively.
    When a user opens any of the web form she will be able to modify and read
    only the information contained in the corresponding table and only the
    records corresponding to the company that the user belongs to. Any
    suggestion about how to write this kind of application taking advantage of
    the Membership Services in ASP.NET 2.0?

    artificer, Sep 7, 2005

  2. Artificer,

    Instead of confusing things by giving access to different pages based on
    user name, try putting all the form information for each type of user into a
    panel. Then just hide the panel based on which user it is.

    You could even store which panel numbers should be show per user type in the
    database.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Sep 7, 2005

  3. artificer

    clintonG Guest

    Actually I am learning the use of the panel control is a carry over and
    there are newer controls and methodologies that may prove better or are
    better to use.

    Considering the design of the application will change significantly once
    Profiles, Membership and Roles are learned I would say its too early to
    recommend which control to use.

    For example, using Roles allow us to control which controls are rendered,
    enabled, and so on. No panel required, and in many instances less code when
    controls need to be referenced too.

    IMO the most important response I can offer is to explain the design and
    development of applications developed using ASP.NET 2.0 can require a
    somewhat different approach than 1.1 or earlier. Furthermore, there are many
    new features in SQL Server 2005 that can and will also affect the design of
    2.0 applications

    I would suggest first delving into the study of Roles and then returning to
    the study and mastery of Profiles, Membership and SQL Server 2005 which I
    contend will be the efficient way to get started on the right foot.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
    URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

    "S. Justin Gengo" <sjgengo@[no_spam_please]aboutfortunate.com> wrote in