    the access to a SQL Server database on a different server.

    Does the web.config file override the IIS MMC security settings ?

    Cheers
    Richard, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Your IIS application runs under one identity. This is configured in the IIS
    settings.

    ASP.NET runs under another identity, which you can configure in the
    machine.config. (By default, it's MACHINE\ASPNET.)

    If you want ASP.NET to use the Windows identity of the IIS application
    (which can be the authenticated user) then make sure your web.config has
    <identity impersonate="true">

    --
    Chris Jackson
    Software Engineer
    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me the best security configuration for an intranet site.
    >
    > I want to use Window accounts (groups) to control access to the Web site

    and

    Chris Jackson, Jul 17, 2003

  3. Under what credentials is your aspnet_wp.exe running? (You can check this
    under the task manager.) Have you set up impersonation?

    --
    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Chris,
    >
    > i have the web.config file set up for windows integrated authentication

    with
    > authorisation on a group set up on the web server. That goes well.
    >
    > I chek the user and display on the page - so i know which account it is
    > running in.
    >
    > I have calls to a SQL server with a different group (but still windows
    > accounts) set up for access to a table i want to update etc
    >
    > Calls to this db do not work, with integrated scurity - but if i use a
    > specific user in the connection string it does work and i gain access to

    the

    Chris Jackson, Jul 18, 2003