asp.net template OR extracting sqls

shahbazc

Hi All,
I'm rather new to asp.net, currently I am experimenting with .NET 2.0.
I have a fairly large number of reports which have everything in common
except the sql, report heading and perhaps a caption or two.

Now, I'm wondering what's the best way I can keep my sqls in, perhaps a
seperate xml file or a database table. As you can imagine, this will
work amazingly well if I could somehow combine site maps with this
templated reporting. The process of adding a new report will be:
1. create an entry for sql and associated information (parameters,
heading, etc.) and point it to an existing template (template probably
just contains a web page and a fancy gridview)
2. create an entry in site map
3. enjoy the new report!

I'll appreciate it if someone guide me regarding this functionality.
Obviously I would like to do it so I can still make use of web parts,
personlization api, security and all the other cool features of asp.net
2.0.

Thanks!

Falcon

Lucas Tam

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
I'm rather new to asp.net, currently I am experimenting with .NET 2.0.
I have a fairly large number of reports which have everything in common
except the sql, report heading and perhaps a caption or two.

Have you considered using Reporting Services or Crystal Reports for
Reporting?

These two products can abstract your display from SQL if you wish.

shahbazc

I'll most likely be using Oracle as the back-end...would like to avoid
a dependency on MS SQL Server any way. I haven't considered Crystal
Reports, I'd like to stick to asp.net. I'm planning on adding all
kinds of functionality to the front-end template (gridview with client
side sorting, column hiding, totals, etc.), I'd rather avoid Crystal in
other words :)

Lucas Tam

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
I'm planning on adding all
kinds of functionality to the front-end template (gridview with client
side sorting, column hiding, totals, etc.), I'd rather avoid Crystal in
other words :)

OK, but just realize that users are never going to be satisifed with
reporting... and they'll ask you for more and more. As you give them more
reports, you may find maintainence to become an issue - and that is when
you'll probably wish that you went with a reporting solution ; )

Just warning you ...