asp.net vs asp

Pamela Polk

This is a basic overall question. Please note I am new
to ASP!

I am currently running IIS 5/Access 2000/Windows 2000 and
have developed a web application.

From what I have been told, to really emulate a
master/detail form, the best way would be to use ASP.net
to do so.

1. is that true?
2. if so, does ASP.net run against Access or SQLServer?
3. what would I need to purchase to emulate this?

Thank you for your help.

Pam Polk

Martin Honnen

Pamela said:
This is a basic overall question. Please note I am new
to ASP!

I am currently running IIS 5/Access 2000/Windows 2000 and
have developed a web application.

From what I have been told, to really emulate a
master/detail form, the best way would be to use ASP.net
to do so.

1. is that true?
2. if so, does ASP.net run against Access or SQLServer?
Yes.

3. what would I need to purchase to emulate this?

You can get ASP.NET for free from http://www.asp.net/.

Scott M.

I am currently running IIS 5/Access 2000/Windows 2000 and
have developed a web application.

From what I have been told, to really emulate a
master/detail form, the best way would be to use ASP.net
to do so.
1. is that true?

There is a built in control called a DataGrid which, with some work, can be
setup to do this.
2. if so, does ASP.net run against Access or SQLServer?

Both and more.
3. what would I need to purchase to emulate this?

Assuming you have .NET, you would not need anything else.

Kevin Spencer

Comments inline:

Pamela Polk said:
I am currently running IIS 5/Access 2000/Windows 2000 and
have developed a web application.

From what I have been told, to really emulate a
master/detail form, the best way would be to use ASP.net
to do so.

1. is that true?

No. You could accomplish the same thing using any server-side technology.
2. if so, does ASP.net run against Access or SQLServer?

ASP.Net does have the ability to connect with and talk to virtually any
database product.
3. what would I need to purchase to emulate this?

You would need to have a web site hosted on IIS 5 or above. As for creating
your ASP.Net pages, you could do them with NotePad if you liked. There are
any number of development products available for productivity, such as
Microsoft Visual Studio.Net (the best if you can afford it) all the way down
to the freely downloadable Web Matrix, from www.asp.net (run by Microsoft).

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Kevin Spencer

Well, I do have to correct myself on one point. Your first question was "the
best way" rather than "the only way." And I would certainly say that ASP.Net
is the best server-side web application technology around, hands down. I
originally answered "no" as I wasn't paying close enough attention to the
details of your question.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Pamela Polk

Thank you all for replying back. Thanks also for clarifying this, ASP
is new to me and I really like using it.

My application is working well, but it was pointed out to me that to
create a master/detail form(using a datagrid) would be better than what
I was doing, so I would need to download asp.net because it came with
those controls.

Does anyone have any links I could access that would show how a
master/detail form could be done without those controls? OR can I use
those controls with ASP?

Thanks again. I am learning a lot.

Pam Polk
Atlanta GA

Kevin Spencer

Does anyone have any links I could access that would show how a
master/detail form could be done without those controls? OR can I use
those controls with ASP?

The DataGrid control is an ASP.Net Control, and is not available for ASP.
ASP.Net is a full-fledged programming technology, not only scripting like
ASP. ASP has severe limitations on what it can do, and requires the help of
COM objects to do many things, while with ASP.Net can do virtually anything
all by itself. The Datagrid Control is part of the .Net Common Language
Runtime Class Library.

You said that your app is working fine using ASP and as it stands. You
should be aware that ASP.Net is immensely more diffcult to learn and use
than ASP, if you're considering making the switch. This is not to discourage
you from getting into it; I consider .Net the greatest programming
technology invented in the past 10 years. However, be prepared. ASP.Net is
powerful, and object-oriented, both of which make for a steep learning
curve. I guess what I'm getting at is, if your current app is working fine,
you have plenty of time to study ASP.Net prior to having to actually use it.

As for "downloading asp.net" I'm not sure what you mean by that. In order to
run ASP.Net on a machine, it must have IIS 5 or better installed, as well as
the .Net platform, which can be obtained fro free from the Windows Update
site at Microsoft. ASP.Net must be explicitly installed on the web server.
To develop ASP.Net, as I mentioned previously, you can use anything from
NotePad to Visual Studio.Net, and the Web Matrix tool is a free download
from www.asp.net.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer