    2000 data to SQLserver 2005? VB 2005/ASP.NET with 2005 data?
    2. How to minimize the transition time? What is the critical change for
    the end users? SQLserver 2000 to 2005 or ASP to ASP.NET?

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZnJleQ==?=, Apr 6, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZnJleQ==?=

    Hans Kesting Guest

    > I have some old ASP programs w/ SQLserver 2000 databases. Now I am
    > developing ASP.NET projects using VB 2005 and SQLserver 2005. What
    > are the best procedures to develop and test the ASP.NET programs?
    >
    > My main concerns are:
    > 1. What do I need to test? VB 2005/ASP.NET with 2000 data? Migration
    > of
    > 2000 data to SQLserver 2005? VB 2005/ASP.NET with 2005 data?
    > 2. How to minimize the transition time? What is the critical change
    > for
    > the end users? SQLserver 2000 to 2005 or ASP to ASP.NET?

    There is an upgrade-check tool to check if a sql200 database can be converted

    to a sql2005 database. It will suggest changes. Our sql2000 database required
    minor
    changes to work in sql2005 and those changes could also be applied to the
    sql2000
    version.

    ASP to ASP.Net is an entirely different matter. Those environments differ
    so much
    that there is no easy conversion from ASP to ASP.Net. There *are* some tools
    "out there" that claim to be able to convert, but I doubt that the result
    will
    be a useful site. The site might work, but I expect it to be very difficult
    maintain.

    Hans Kesting

    Hans Kesting, Apr 6, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZnJleQ==?=

    sloan Guest

    ASP to ASP.NET?

    Yeah dude. Plan on a complete port over, if you want to do it right.

    If you dotNet code has references to ADODB, then you're barking up the wrong
    tree.
    (which is one of many bad things the upgrade wizards do)

    I'll start you off with this tidbit.

    NUMBER 1 THING NOT TO DO IN ASP.NET

    Loop over recordsets and create html code.

    Asp.Net has controls which you bind data.

    asp:repeater
    asp:GridView (2.0)
    asp:dataGrid(1.1)

    are examples.

    DO NOT LOOP OVER RECORDSETS AND CREATE HTML CODE.

    Good luck.

    sloan, Apr 27, 2007