ASP.NET vs Cold Fusion

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by CSDunn, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. CSDunn

    CSDunn Guest

    Hello,
    My boss is considering the purchase of a calendar/scheduler program for our
    school district, and part of the setup calls for the installation of
    Macromedia's Cold Fusion software. My bosses condition for the purchase of
    this software is that the company we are purchasing from support the entire
    application, and that our understaffed I.T. department not have to.

    I was hoping to come up with an application using the calendar control with
    ASP.NET, but due to the work load of current SQL Server database projects,
    there is no way I will have time to even start one for a good while.

    Anyway, I was hoping to get some feedback about Cold Fusion. This is what I
    understand about Cold Fusion:

    1. Its proprietary to Macromedia
    2. The licensing is expensive (so I've heard)
    3. It is not as popular now as it was a year or two ago (so I've heard)

    I don't even know that I need to worry about it if the company we are
    purchasing from is going to 100% take care of the support for the product.
    On the other hand, I need enough information to decide whether or not a
    product run on cold fusion is going to be enough of a problem to discontinue
    any further consideration of the product. We are a Microsoft shop running
    Windows 2000 Server of one flavor or another on all of our servers, and XP
    on most of the desktops.

    If you happen to have knowledge about Cold Fusion that you could pass along,
    or reason that I should have concern about purchasing software build around
    Cold Fusion, please let me know.

    Thanks for your help!

    Chris Dunn

    CSDunn, Jul 28, 2003

  2. CSDunn

    Ben A Guest

    1. Yes and no. ColdFusion is but CFML is not (lookup BlueDragon).
    ColdFusion/CFML will run on multiple platforms such as Linux, Solaris, and
    others. I should also note that BlueDragon will integrate with .NET within
    the next little while.

    2. Licensing is not free, but the cost per project is usually cut in half
    when using ColdFusion over ASP or PHP or JSP. It's really worth the upfront
    cost, with huge time and resource savings over the course of a single
    project. If you purchase CFMX for Linux, you're paying about the same as
    Windows Server 2003 with ASP included. If you want to save money, CFMX is a
    good choice.

    3. There are over 300,000 CF developers, not as many as ASP but still quite
    a large army. It's popularity has skyrocketed in recent years, especially
    now with Rich Internet Applications (RIA) using Flash Remoting and
    ColdFusion together.

    Macromedia really seems to have their stuff together.

    If you have any more questions, let me know.

    Ben

    Ben A, Jul 28, 2003

  3. CSDunn

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    About your answer to #2...

    How is the cost per project cut in half using CF over the other
    technologies?

    In his case they are a Windows shop so they already have an OS, ASP, and the
    DotNet Framework is free.

    PHP is also free.

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, Jul 28, 2003