    Any input is appreciated.

    Thanks
    Cory
    cory, Dec 17, 2003

  2. cory

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:43:24 GMT, "cory" <> wrote:

    >I realize this is a Microsoft group, but what are the
    >advantages/disadvantages of cold fusion? People are telling me the coding
    >required in .cfm is much less than .asp? Is this true? Which one is
    >better?

    They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, and one may be better than
    another for specific tasks and talents. You'd need to evaulate them
    in terms of your organizations abilities and needs.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Dec 17, 2003

  3. cory

    middletree Guest

    Cold Fusion has been found to be easier to learn by those who have bothered
    to say so. But if you already are familiar with VB-type language, that
    wouldn't be an advantage in your case.

    Those who claim to know both platforms typically say that you can do more
    with ASP.

    I have no personal CF experience and no axe to grind.

    middletree, Dec 17, 2003
  4. cory

    Kris Eiben Guest

    I'm part of the only ASP group in an otherwise CF shop, so I've worked
    with both for the past few years. The two languages are very
    different -- because they have different target audiences that value
    different features. When, for example, opening and looping over a
    recordset, ASP will require more code than CF. However, with ASP you
    will be able to control whether you use ODBC/OLE DB/OO4O/what have you
    to open the database connection, whether that connection is kept open
    for other recordsets on the page, whether the recordset is read-only or
    writeable, etc., etc.

    "Better" is subjective. It all depends on the current skill set of the
    people who will be doing the coding -- whether they're more comfortable
    with scripting or tag-based coding -- and whether you need the
    flexibility and extensibility available with ASP, or would prefer the
    quick coding and out-of-the-box functionality of CF.

    I would say that the main pros and cons are:

    ASP:
    takes more code to do some tasks
    has fewer built-in features (but can be easily extended with COM
    components)
    much finer control
    easy transition for VB programmers (most sample code is in VBscript)
    CF:
    some things _must_ be tag-based (database access, for example)
    - so you can't just cfscript everything
    - so you _must_ transition to the tag paradigm
    ODBC/JDBC connections only (unless I'm missing something)
    difficult to extend using COM components (again, unless I'm missing
    something)
    easy transition for HTML programmers

    Kris Eiben, Dec 18, 2003
  5. cory

    Bill Guest

    "cory" <> wrote in message
    > I realize this is a Microsoft group, but what are the
    > advantages/disadvantages of cold fusion? People are telling me the coding
    > required in .cfm is much less than .asp? Is this true? Which one is
    > better?

    I've coded in both. Two years ago I decided to standardize on ASP mainly for
    support and documentation reasons. The responses I'd get from ASP newsgroups
    are not only quicker, but more accurate (awwwww...). And while the
    documentation may appear equivilant, when you start to use the docs you'll
    find the ASP documentation is far superior to CF documentation.

    Lastly, the majority of ASP programmers are professionals earning a serious
    living, while too many CF programmers are hobbyists and/or anti-Microsoft.
    Bill, Dec 19, 2003
  6. cory wrote:
    > I realize this is a Microsoft group, but what are the
    > advantages/disadvantages of cold fusion? People are telling me the coding
    > required in .cfm is much less than .asp? Is this true? Which one is
    > better?

    The main difference may be that the Cold Fusion developer still has a
    career ahead!:cool:)

    For a new project or for someone new to web programming, I would suggest
    any web language _other_ than ASP (which I like, but because Microsoft
    is deprecating ASP and promoting ASP.NET).

    My choices, in order, would be Perl, Java, PHP, then _maybe_ CF. Perl's
    CPAN libraries http://search.cpan.org/ are incredible, already debugged
    and documented, free and you can see the source code.

    Good Luck,
    Michael D. Kersey
    Michael D. Kersey, Dec 19, 2003
  7. cory

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:42:14 -0600, "Michael D. Kersey"
    <> wrote:

    >cory wrote:
    >> I realize this is a Microsoft group, but what are the
    >> advantages/disadvantages of cold fusion? People are telling me the coding
    >> required in .cfm is much less than .asp? Is this true? Which one is
    >> better?

    >The main difference may be that the Cold Fusion developer still has a
    >career ahead!:cool:)

    Perhaps. Locally, the demand for CF programmers has dropped way off,
    ASP and .NET coders are in much higher demand. The larger shops that
    had been pure CF have split or dropped CF entirely in the last two
    years. Your market may naturally vary.

    Of course, hitching your career to any single technology is pretty
    much a foolish thing to do...

    >For a new project or for someone new to web programming, I would suggest
    >any web language _other_ than ASP (which I like, but because Microsoft
    >is deprecating ASP and promoting ASP.NET).

    Except of course that neither ASP or ASP.NET is a langauge. You
    program in VBScript, JScript or in the case of .NET, C##. All
    standard language technologies, and except for Jscript they have been
    around in one form or another for years.

    >My choices, in order, would be Perl, Java, PHP, then _maybe_ CF. Perl's
    >CPAN libraries http://search.cpan.org/ are incredible, already debugged
    >and documented, free and you can see the source code.

    Except if you're in a Microsoft shop, Java and PHP are less fully
    supported, and Perl can be problematic if you attempt to use some
    libraries.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Dec 19, 2003
  8. cory

    cory Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message

    > I've coded in both. Two years ago I decided to standardize on ASP mainly

    for
    > support and documentation reasons. The responses I'd get from ASP

    newsgroups
    > are not only quicker, but more accurate (awwwww...). And while the
    > documentation may appear equivilant, when you start to use the docs you'll
    > find the ASP documentation is far superior to CF documentation.
    >
    > Lastly, the majority of ASP programmers are professionals earning a

    serious
    > living, while too many CF programmers are hobbyists and/or anti-Microsoft.

    Thanks for the informative responses. I am not doing the programming, but I
    have had someone trying to sell me a .cfm app. I was hesitant about it as I
    researched some sites running .cfm and maybe it was just the websites I
    viewed but they seemd slower loading than an aspx website. I was also
    concerned about support and the portability of cfm. Meaning, if I chose to
    leave my host with Cold Fusion I have to find one who supports it and those
    who do seem far fewer than .aspx.

    Anyways, I have chosen to go with asp.net for my app so hopefully it works
    out.

    Thanks again.
    Cory
    cory, Dec 19, 2003