ASP.net, Windows 2000, and SMP/Multiprocessor

Ohaya

Hi,

We are running a website on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server machine with 4
CPUs and Hyperthreading enabled (i.e., 8 virtual processors). The web
server is IIS5.

Our application uses ASP.net, and we originally were testing the application
on a test system with a single CPU and no hyperthreading.

When we moved the application to the production machine (the one with 4
CPUs), we noticed a strange (to me) thing.

Our application is such that we kind of expected processing a request would
not be quick (the processing for a single request is somewhat long-running),
but when we tested on the SMP server, we noted that when a request was sent
to the web server, we'd see CPU Usage on 1 processor go up (to about 100%),
then after awhile, CPU Usage on the next processor would go up and CPU usage
on the 1st processor would drop to almost 0%. Then after awhile, CPU Usage
on the next (3rd) processor would go up, and CPU Usage on the 2nd processor
would drop to almost 0%, etc. This was all during the processing for a
single request to the web server.

I've been doing some searching, trying to figure out what's going on, and I
ran across the following post from 3/4/2004:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g...-8&[email protected]

The above post seems to be indicating a problem where ASP.net would "queue"
up processing, but it seems like it's mostly talking about a situation where
multiple (i.e., 2) requests come into the web server, and processing of the
2nd request would, under some circumstances, get held up because of this
problem.

We haven't tried the workarounds mentioned in the above post yet (don't have
access to the production system), but I'm wondering if anyone here had
experience with this problem, and if this problem might also manifest itself
to look something like what we're seeing?

Thanks in advance!!

Jim