ASP.net woes

Bob D

2 issues we have run into during heavy volumes. Wondering
if anyone else has seen these or knows of fixes/known
issues, etc

Item #1
We have run into an issue where by the aspnet_wp is
stopping. In the event log we see things
like "aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 2400) stopped unexpectedly."
Interestingly enough this event is always followed by "The
data buffer created for the "MSMQ" service in
the "C:\WINNT\system32\MQPERF.DLL" library is not aligned
on an 8-byte boundary." The problem is that it looks like
it takes 2 seconds to restart the service. During peak
periods this is eternity!

Item #2
We have code in application_error event to capture
anything that our exception handling may miss. The code
basically logs the exception, Redirects to a prettied
up "Sorry, this shouldnt have happened" page. This has
worked wonderfully until recently. Every once in a while,
the end user gets a stack trace back. Below is a sample
typed in from a screen shot.
[NullReferenceException]
System.Web.UnsafeNativeMethods.GetShortPathName
System.Web.FilePathParse.GetShortPathName
System.Web.FilePathParse..ctor
System.Web.FileChangesMonitor
System.Web.Caching.CacheDependency.Init
System.Web.Caching.CacheDependency..ctor
System.Web.Configuration.HttpConfigurationSystem.GetCacheDe
pendecies
System.Web.Configuration.HttpConfigurationSystem.ComposeCon
fig
System.Web.HttpContext.GetCompleteConfigRecord
System.Web.HttpContext.GetCompleteConfig
System.Web.HttpContext.GetConfig
System.Web.CustomErrors.GetSettings
System.Web.HttpResponse.ReportRunTimeError
System.Web.HttpRunTime.FinishRequest

Anyone have any ideas?

Alvin Bruney

That's strange indeed.

Have you considered that the code in the application_error event may be
failing? That could be one symptom. I'd suggest you make this modification
to the web.config

<customErrors
mode="RemoteOnly"

/>

so that a stack trace doesn't pop up on the user's screen. It's not a fix,
it's a bandaid. In addition, you will want to set a default error page in
the web config file to point to your generic error page. Also, right before
you redirect to your error page in the application_error event handler, do a
context.clear() to stifle the exception bubble. See if that helps any.
Finally, on every error page, you should be mapping to a page error handler
to catch errors before the make it up to the global level.

page.error += error handler goes here in the initializecomponent section

Do this for every aspx page as a second line of defense always.