ASP pages & possible permissions corruption

Jennifer Sanders

We're running windows 2000 server with IIS 5.0. We're
trying to execute .asp scripts but we keep getting the 500
(internal server) error.

It looks like the permissions might be corrupted. When I
go to the folder in question, go to properties >> security
and look at the user groups, for several seconds they say
this:

S-1-1-0
S-1-5-18
S-1-5-32-544

Then the above numbers turn into the group names
(everyone, administrator, etc.).

The end result is that no .asp code can be executed, but
other scripts (such as ColdFusion scripts, sorry) are
working fine. Our website as a whole is functioning
properly. Months ago I applied the IIS Lockdown Tool and
ever since I've had to jockey the permissions around.
Earlier in the week I had IIS prompt me for
username/password to access public pages. When I went to
the permissions menu, it hesitated and then opened. When
I retried the pages after adjusting the permissions, I was
able to access them again.

Any suggestions, reference?

Thanks.

Chris Barber

The SIDs are what is actually used to match the security - it always takles
a few sconds for the display to resolve them to actual group names from AD /
Domain Controller etc.

Internal Server error usually denotes something in Global.asa that is not
working - try moving the code to an asp page and call it to see the real
error if you have anything in Global.asa?

Chris.

Ray at

Those values you're seeing are orphaned SIDs - SIDs of users who no longer
exist on your network. You can delete them, since they aren't doing any
good anyway. Just be sure that they are actually just SIDs, and it's not
just that you have a slow server or network that's taking a while to resolve
the SIDs to their friendly names.

For your internal server error issues, find out what the real error is.
http://www.aspfaq.com/2109

Ray at home

Jennifer Sanders

Thanks for the advice, Ray. The URL you gave had a lot of
good info. I set up IE to give me the 'real' error--
turned out to be a 'Server Application Error'. I followed
the tip on the FAQ for this--removing and creating the
service on the 'home dir' tab of the IIS website
properties. But that didn't work. Any other ideas?

I'm currently updating the service pack to 4 and I'm gonna
uninstall the IIS Lockdown...