ASP sessions expiring prematurely

Jazzis

I recently moved an application from W2K / IIS5 to W2K3 / IIS6.

In the new environment user sessions expire after 2-3 minutes? I can't
find any solution to this, although I found quite a few references to
this problem on the web. Help anybody?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Manohar Kamath

Please refer to your earlier question in this newsgroup, and the answers to
it.

Erica

Jazzis,

Are you sure it's after 2-3 minutes or does it seem to expire after going to
another directory?

Jazzis

Thanks, but unfortunately the faq stuff is not helping - all that I've
checked already.

I need other answers - if there are any.

Adam

Jazzis

Yes I'm sure! Without doing anything (just staying on 1 ASP document
doing refresh) the session expires after 2-3 minutes every time.

Let me repeat - the SAME application works PERFECTLY for years in IIS5
and the problem exists only under IIS6.

Adam

Jazzis

Jeff Dillon said:
response.write Session.TimeOut

and "how" do you determine they time out?

Jeff

Well I know the session timed out since the session variables are
lost.

I have written a monitor for sessions and I see all the session
varioables disappear.

The session.timeout is 20 minutes, but IIS seems to ignore that???

Adam

Jeff Dillon

Is anything touching global.asa? Anything else that could be causing an
application restart?

so response.write session.timeout

returns 20?

Jeff

Dave Anderson

Jazzis said:
Well I know the session timed out since the session variables are
lost.

I have written a monitor for sessions and I see all the session
varioables disappear.

For all sessions at once?

Any chance your Global.asa is getting updated?

--
Dave Anderson

Jazzis

Dave Anderson said:
For all sessions at once?

Any chance your Global.asa is getting updated?

Jeff & Dave,

Thanks for your help.

1. Yes, session.timeout = 20

2. Well I don't know if for all sessions at once, surely for each
session individully, but I haven't checked if that happens
simultaniously to all open sessions - will do.

What could change / update the global.asa? Surely not me / my
application.

Adam

Jazzis

There are some
The system people tell me the following:

======= Quote ===========

Hi, Adam, we are continuing to check the site and timeout issue.
Please note that we set a dedicated application pool for Your site in
IIS6 and server's timeout is caused by reaching application pool and
its restart.
That what resets the application.
It's a pure application issue and could be each sessions requires too
much memory and grows up until it reaches the limit.

Please see how we may advance further

Have a nice day

A worker process with process id of '4872' serving application pool
'NV8956' has requested a recycle because it reached its virtual memory
limit.

========= End Quote ===========

Any ideas?

Adam

Dave Anderson

Jazzis said:
A worker process with process id of '4872' serving application pool
'NV8956' has requested a recycle because it reached its virtual memory
limit.

Any ideas?

A memory leak, perhaps? Overly optimistic application pool settings (I
believe I suggested that you look at them) ?

What happens if you "uncheck" the maximum virtual memory settings?

--
Dave Anderson

Larry Bud

There are some
The system people tell me the following:

======= Quote ===========

Hi, Adam, we are continuing to check the site and timeout issue.
Please note that we set a dedicated application pool for Your site in
IIS6 and server's timeout is caused by reaching application pool and
its restart.
That what resets the application.
It's a pure application issue and could be each sessions requires too
much memory and grows up until it reaches the limit.

Please see how we may advance further

Have a nice day

A worker process with process id of '4872' serving application pool
'NV8956' has requested a recycle because it reached its virtual memory
limit.

Any ideas?

Not releasing objects properly causing a big memory leak?

Jeff Dillon

Make sure not to put any objects in Session or Application, generally only
strings.

Jeff