asp writes csv WITHOUT complete file path?

Scott Gordo

I have a simple asp form which writes to a csv.
The code it's based on (from "ASP for Dummies") is:

Set peoplefile - _
filesys.OpenTextFile( _
"c:\inetpub\wwwroot\gb\gbpeople.txt",1)

The form is going live soon, and I'd like just a dash of due diligence
in terms of security. I tried using a relative link to the gbpeople.txt
file which didn't work. Is there a better way around this without
reinventing?

Much thanks,

Scott

Patrice

Server.MapPath ? Where do you want to write this file ? What is the security
risk you are trying to avoid ?

Scott Gordo

Slim said:

I should have mentioned that I'm a hack cluebie....
It looks like exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure how to
combine the two.

My code looks like:
<%...
Dim filesys, mgrfile
Set filesys = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set mgrfile = _
filesys.OpenTextFile(_
"C:\Inetpub\yadayada\contestants.csv",_
8, true)
....%>

Microsoft's:
<%=
Server.MapPath(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO"))%>

I figure it's something like
Set mgrfile =
Server.MapPath(Request.ServerVariables("contestants.csv", 8, true))?

Can I get an amen?

Thanks again.

Scott

Patrice

Server.MapPath maps a virtual path (such as
"/myfolder/subfolder/myfile.txt") to a physical path
("c:\mysites\thisapp\myfolder\subfolder\myfile.txt").

ServerVariables allows to retrieve some server defined variables (such as
the path to the current path). The Microsoft sample does likely something
like displaying the physical path of the current page.

In your case try Request.ServerMapPath("/whereyouwanttostore/yourfile.txt")

Scott Gordo

Patrice said:
Server.MapPath maps a virtual path (such as
"/myfolder/subfolder/myfile.txt") to a physical path
("c:\mysites\thisapp\myfolder\subfolder\myfile.txt").

ServerVariables allows to retrieve some server defined variables (such as
the path to the current path). The Microsoft sample does likely something
like displaying the physical path of the current page.

In your case try Request.ServerMapPath("/whereyouwanttostore/yourfile.txt")

I wound up using your guidance and getting a little help. For the sake
of reference, I used:

Set sampleObject =
otherObject.CreateTextFile((Server.MapPath("folder/file_name.txt")),
True)

It's working. Thanks for your help.

Scott