AspectJ Seminar

Casey Hawthorne

AspectJ Seminar

I was at an Aspect Oriented Programming seminar tonight and the
speaker said that were no performance penalties.

I find this hard to believe - unless you are only using AOP for
debugging purposes and not in the production code!

There is no way to add Aspects to others class files yet!

I don't think there is an incremental compiler yet!

Chris Smith

Casey Hawthorne said:
I was at an Aspect Oriented Programming seminar tonight and the
speaker said that were no performance penalties.

I find this hard to believe - unless you are only using AOP for
debugging purposes and not in the production code!

AspectJ generally transforms the binary code at compile-time, not at
run-time. As a result there really are no performance penalties for
code in which aspects are not applicable. Obviously if aspects are run,
though, then it does take some time to run them. However, the idea is
that you would have written that code anyway. It's not fair to compare
the performance of one application with another one that does more.

However, AspectJ does support a run-time mode that has very definite and
severe penalties. There is also the possibility of performance
penalties in other non-AspectJ systems for AOP, depending on their own
implementations.
There is no way to add Aspects to others class files yet!

I don't think there is an incremental compiler yet!

These things I can't comment on.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

heywes

re:
However, AspectJ does support a run-time mode that has very definite and
severe penalties.

There's no such mode; perhaps you mean that a programmer can specify
runtime tests, which if used liberally could be unnecessarily
expensive. There's an old paper with a section on the performance
of AspectJ advice at

http://hugunin.net/papers/aosd-2004-cameraReady.pdf

In most cases, where performance issues are identified, the AspectJ
team resolves them pretty quickly.

re:
-incremental has worked since AspectJ 1.1, I believe. And now
the AJDT support in eclipse is really good. There's even a
development build out that support Java 5 (generics, etc.).
The next release of AspectJ is shaping up nicely.
See http://eclipse.org/aspectj and http://eclipse.org/ajdt