Assemblies and Application Blocks problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rajesh Madhra, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. Hi everybody
    I do not have Visual Studio. I only use Notepad and WebMatrix. My problems
    are :

    1.
    I have DotNet Framework installed and it is working fine. I have Env.
    variable as follows :
    Variable = vbc
    Value = C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\vbc.exe
    But when I try to make an assembly of myself by using the following command
    from WinXP's command prompt
    vbc /t:library /out:FileName.dll FileName.vb
    It says
    'vbc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program
    or batch file.
    Can someone tell me how can I make my own assemblies ?

    2.
    I downloaded and installed Data Access Application Block. In the articles I
    read on the net and in the documentation it talks about
    opening Application Block Project in Visual Studio and build the project.
    What should I do if I do not have Visual Studio. Can someone tell me the
    steps how to fix this or give a link to an article.

    Thanks in advance
    Raja
    Rajesh Madhra, Jul 13, 2003

  2. I can't help you with the second problem, but I can help you with the first.
    Add the framework tools directory to the PATH environment variable like
    this:

    SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\;

    If you create a batch file and name it anything (like vbprompt.bat) and add
    that line to it, then create a shortcut on your computer that runs the
    following:

    %compsec% /k "vbprompt.bat"

    Where vbprompt.bat is the full path to your batch file, then you can run
    that shortcut any time and the command prompt will open up with all the
    environment variables in the batch file configured.

    Hope that helps,
    David

    David Banister, Jul 15, 2003