Assemblies and Application Blocks problem

Rajesh Madhra

Hi everybody
I do not have Visual Studio. I only use Notepad and WebMatrix. My problems
are :

1.
I have DotNet Framework installed and it is working fine. I have Env.
variable as follows :
Variable = vbc
Value = C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\vbc.exe
But when I try to make an assembly of myself by using the following command
from WinXP's command prompt
vbc /t:library /out:FileName.dll FileName.vb
It says
'vbc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program
or batch file.
Can someone tell me how can I make my own assemblies ?

2.
I downloaded and installed Data Access Application Block. In the articles I
read on the net and in the documentation it talks about
opening Application Block Project in Visual Studio and build the project.
What should I do if I do not have Visual Studio. Can someone tell me the
steps how to fix this or give a link to an article.

Thanks in advance
Raja

David Banister

I can't help you with the second problem, but I can help you with the first.
Add the framework tools directory to the PATH environment variable like
this:

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\;

If you create a batch file and name it anything (like vbprompt.bat) and add
that line to it, then create a shortcut on your computer that runs the
following:

%compsec% /k "vbprompt.bat"

Where vbprompt.bat is the full path to your batch file, then you can run
that shortcut any time and the command prompt will open up with all the
environment variables in the batch file configured.

Hope that helps,
David